Interesting Brake Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The wife noticed a strange noise coming from the brakes so I took the truck for a drive. "Strange" means grinding !!

Turns out,o n the left front corner, the inner brake pad is totally worn out all the way to the backing plate and it is grinding on the rotor. The outter pad has lots of material left.

Could this be the result of a stuck piston(s) in the caliper ?

Next issue is whether I should pull the rotor and turn it, or just buy new ones. Over 50k mi. on these, but the outside surface looks like new.

Can these rotors even be turned ?

Aaargggg !!

TIA

Buy new OEM rotors from C-Dan; you'll be much happier. If the pad wear was that uneven you probably have a sticking piston. Plan to clean them up, rebuild the caliper or replace with rebuilt calipers. Do a full brake system flush with new synthetic fluid.

-B-

If it were a lighter vehicle, personally I would probably not replace the rotor... fix the stuck piston and slap new pads in and if will conform to any grooves that were worn into the rotor. But with these heavy vehicles, you need the brakes to be as good as you can get.

:beer:
Rookie2

Personally, I think fresh pads make a great rotor turning machine if all you have are grooves - even deep ones. The pad material will quickly conform to the rotor and you'll never notice anything except the $100 still in your pocket.

Fix the sticking caliper, put new front pads on both sides and off you go..

DougM

I've seen that happen to a friend's cruiser and one side of the rotor was clearly worn down beyond further use. Take a good look at both sides of your rotor and compare for thickness. If one side is thinner than the other you cought the problem too late and it's time for new rotors.

In case of doubt, change the rotors. It's better to spend a little too much here than to spend a lot more later if wrong.

Kalawang

Well, maybe it's time to just do a full "rebuild" of the front corners. Toyota has rebuilt calipers for our trucks 47750-60060-84 (left) and 47730-60060-84 (right) which my local dealer lists at $124 ($93 with discount). Then I'll also put on new rotors and pads, and probably new wheel bearings and brake lines while we are in there. I have an axle seal leaking again too, so possibly a birf repack.

Uuggghhh. I wasn't planning on tackling all this again so soon, but, I guess I had better get used to the idea.

Will start gathering parts !

Great, the left caliper is backordered !!!

Arrrggggghhhh !

CDan, maybe you can get them sooner ?! I'll PM you.

If you want to upgrade to the bigger 100 series pads you will need new or turned rotors as the stock pads don't reach the outer diameter of the rotor and there will be a ridge at that spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom