Interested in baselining my cruiser? Show me the ropes? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to the community and live in Chicago. I was wondering if anyone is interested in showing me the ropes regarding getting my cruiser up to spec PM wise. I am not mechanically inclined but am willing to learn for the sake of keeping this vehicle for the next 10 years.

I have owend one for 2 weeks and would feel much better if I knew someone from this board inspected it.

I can take it to a local Toyota shop but would be willing to pay someone else so I can learn a thing or two.

Issues: I have no idea if the bearings or fluids have been serviced. I hear a rattling sound on slow accelerations. Front breaks may require replacing due to pulsation. The previous owner indicated the rear breaks and rotors were recently replaced.

1997 80 with 114k

Pulsating brakes? Have you recently moved to IL? :) (sorry recent "inside" joke on the 80's forum).

Gumby's probably the best person to go to, and the closest to the city. Not that I'm volunteering someone else for work or anything! :) Plus, he's a softy for not being able to say 'no', so you'll never know whether you're imposing on him or not... :)

Enjoy your 80, welcome to the community.

Kenton

if you're IN the city, I can swing by and take a look at it for ya. I'm more of an 'older' cruiser guy, but I can find my way around fuel injection if necessary. :)

Where are you at? I'm a north sider.

Also, Gumby is a good guy to get to know. Lots of smarts in that bald head of his. :D

-Rob

I am located on the south side of Chicago. Finally some takers! I noticed Gumby was out there and did not want to single him out Kenton.

Do you know how to baseline the 80 Cruiser chitown40? I am willing to compensate and travel where your at if necessary. I have free Sundays and can take off of work during a weekday if necessary. Saturdays I am taking a certification course and I'm locked in until 12/01/2005.

No need to take off work. We can find some Sunday to get together. Who knows, Gumby might have another workday at the shop planned and we can all head out there....hint hint. ;) Seriously, I'm no 80s guru or anything, but I know enough to get you on the right track and figure out what you can do yourself and what you can farm out to a mechanic. PM me with a few days you can get together and you can swing up to my place.

Rob

Hi! Is Gumby Todd Ballard?

Anytime I buy a new to me used vehicle, I like to do what I call a "full fluidectomy."

New coolant, oil, filters, gearbox/transfer/axle lube change, brake fluid change, grease all those fittings under there. With a solid front axle like this vehicle has, it will be important to repack wheel bearings, knuckle bearings (these will most likely need replaced), and "birfields," which are the bits that take the place of inner axle u-joints. Replace the inner axle seal and knuckle gaskets and seals. 80 series brake rotors are consumables, plan on replacing them. Adjust valves and set timing, replace plugs, rotor and cap...None of this is hard if you have basic hand tools, patience, and a good manual.

Then you're good for nothing but regular maintenence for another 100,000 or so with a Cruiser;)

There is a good 80 series mailing list, and a good 80 forum here. Slee Off Road is an 80 series specific vendor if you have tough q's or aftermarket parts needs, and C-Dan on this board is real good with oem toyota parts. Cruiseroutfitters is good for wheel bearings and knuckle kits, etc. Go to www.tlca.org and check out our associate business members for many other friendly and knowledgable parts people...

Enjoy! Alan

chitown40 said:
No need to take off work. We can find some Sunday to get together. Who knows, Gumby might have another workday at the shop planned and we can all head out there....hint hint. ;) Seriously, I'm no 80s guru or anything, but I know enough to get you on the right track and figure out what you can do yourself and what you can farm out to a mechanic. PM me with a few days you can get together and you can swing up to my place.

Rob

I will see what my wife has planned for my daughter next Sunday. Perhaps we can get together then.

Is Gumby a mechanic? What happens at his shop? Does he do inspections and preventive maintenance that was outlined in the previous post? I do not know anything about front end or differential work.

chitown40 said:

Rob

Thank you for the feedback. The list is extensive however I would love to learn how to do this.

Gumby is on vacation right now for about 2 weeks. Chances are you won't hear from him for a while.

I am on vacation, but unable to stay away. It's raining here so no scooter riding. Instead I'm sitting in the public library surfing 'Mud. :)

I am Todd Ballard, just don't tell anybody. ;)

I am an auto shop teacher. I work at a really great school in Naperville that lets me in the shop whenever I want.

I would say that baselining a 80 seriesm (I'm assuming you have a 97 :) ) would include a coolant flush with a Toyota OEM t-stat. Toyota Red coolant is reccomended by many on the forum. The PHH should be replaced if original and over 100K. Birfs need repacking if not done. Marlin, Cruiseroutfitters and others have kits. OEM kits are available through CruiserDan at American Toyota. They are very nice and very complete, but spendy. Replace rotors with OEM. Check/ rebuild p-brake bellcrank if you plan on using it at all.

Change diff fluid and t-case fluid. Change ATF. Change oil. Synths if you are concerned with mileage and are not going to be wheeling it. (I prefer dino because I change those normally long term fluids at least twice a year due to hard wheeling.)

Cap, rotor, wires and plugs are good for 100K. PCV should be changed. You WILL need a new grommet for the PCV and possibly a new gasket for the intake if the old grommet falls in.

I will be out of town for the most part for a couple of weeks. I plan on being back mid week this week, but will be leaving again right away for Attica Friday-Sunday. I'll be back on Monday, but will be leaving again for MD on Wednesday for a week of scooter ridin'.

I can do the work for you when I return. PM me with specific repair needs and I can shoot you a cost.

There ya have it. IMOP, yOu can't beat that offer. Gumby's great mechanic and knows 80s. I'd be happy to still get together with ya and talk cruisers and check out your 80 as well. I've been getting the itch for one lately and found myself driving all around Chicago looking at a few. We'll figure some time to hang out, but definitely consider Gumby's offer to do the PM, he knows his stuff and will do a bang-up job for ya.

On a side note, Todd, let me know if you're going to do a birf repack anytime this summer, since I want to watch/help/participate. The driver's side on my 60 is starting to look a little soupy so I think I blew an axle seal. Haven't taken a real good look to really tell what it needs, but I'm figure to watch or help someone do it once, then tackle it before fall.

i pm'd gumby the phone number of a good friend of mine, steve hanson (also one of the founding members of wclc back in the early 90's), who helped my a ton on my cruisers when i lived out there. he's in compton and for anyone working on cruisers, he's a great guy to know. he used to be a motorcycle mechanic, but anything mechanical is natural to him. also, his parents were missionarys (and devote cruiser drivers..hence his love of cruisers), so he knows a lot of the freaky stuff that can get you out of trouble.

an example, i bought a 78 40 when i was out there and a po had rebuilt the motor...apparently not cleanly. main bearings were toast when i got it a few thousand miles later. the crank was worn enough that there was a lip that stuck up and filled the oil groove in the bearing. he brought me a roll of emery cloth and some string and told me how to fix it. cruiser ran for three more hard years before i finally parked it for a completely different issue.

if anyone is interested in getting to know him, pm me for his info. he's been out of touch with cruiserheads lately and wants to meet up with some again.

Thanks for chiming in Gumby! I would like to do a birfield repack chitown40 if you are interested in coordinating your schedule with Gumby's. Here is the list of items I feel should be services since I know very little of it's service records. I understand some of the jobs are time consuming so I listed the items that probably need prioritizing. Let me know Gumby when you can do the work and I can get started on ordering parts.

Transmission Flush and Filter change
Coolant flush
Transfer case fluid flush
Front and Rear axel fluids replaced
Repack wheel bearings
Knuckle bearings and Birfield repack [if necessary?].

I would be willing to change all that is needed persuant to your inspection Gumby. I am going to call Naperville of Toyota and see if they have any service records for my vehicle. The origional owners lived in Naperville however I did not talk directly to the seller. The sellers brother sold the vehicle for them and he indicated they lived close to a mechanic that did all the work for them. Wouldn't it be ironic if that gentleman turned out to be you Gumby. To make a long story short I am willing to do whatever it takes to acquire peace of mind so that that my cruiser is ready for years of reliable service.

Thank you one and all for helping me get direction on how to approach this.

Except from previous post: [I am going to call Naperville of Toyota and see if they have any service records for my vehicle.]

I called Naperville of Toyota and they did not have any service records. I probably should do whatever is involved with the 90k and the 120k maintenance schedule.

Gumby, I own a 1997 Burgandy Collectors Edition. It looks well taken care of but then again I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination.

A few more tidbits. The vehicle overall drives great with the exception of a few items.

1. I am hearing a squeeking sound while driving at slow speeds. Could it be the bearings drying up?
2. I hear a rattling sound and did receive feedback from the forum that it might be the heat shield becoming undone.

Again I am willing to do all that is needed if you have the time Gumby. Let me know what I should start with so I can get a feel for parts, etc.

Happy Friday to all :flipoff2:

I just wanted to mention a few things...

Gumby is on ** vacation ** so please respect his time off and don't volunteer his time :D

I'm sure he enjoys helping out fellow cruiser knuckleheads but I don't think he wants to live in the shop during vacation, specially since the temp of the shop gets quite balmy past noon during summer. Which is why he is in there from early morning to noon on some days!:eek:

Thanks Gumby for letting us abuse you but free to tell us to buzz off :D :flipoff2:

As far as parts, I'd suggest that you call Cruiserdan on this board and tell him what you need. He'll get you everything that you need and things that you don't even think about and the cost is better than you can get local or anywhere else. Before heading to Gumby's shop, have ALL parts procured in order to minizme having someone else play parts bitch while extending the down time further. This includes consummables such as brake parts cleaners, lots of rags, oil, moly grease for birfs, wheel bearing grease, brake caliper grease, fluids, etc.. Consummables can be purchased locally BTW.

I found out that purchasing OEM parts from Dan is the only way to go for this robust vehicle. For instance, I tried using a 3rd party axle seals for the birf project and ended up changing to OEM seals about 5,000 miles later :doh:

Oh yeah, please arrange your own ride home in case the project is turning out to be longer than you expect. I felt really bad when I made Gumby stay at the shop past 10 pm one night :doh: That wasn't cool.

Collector_edi,
PM me if you need more info/ideas or simply want to come over and we can talk about your rig after work. I can help you with stuff as well and also help you spend lots of money on your rig :D I live in Woodridge. I had Oakbrook Toyota flush the ATF for around $130. I prefer having them power flush my tranny rather than Ziffy lube. Just a FYI.

Ali

I have a buddy that recently move out to Woodridge. He loves it. He lives on Double Eagle drive near Seven Bridges golf course.

My objective is to get the vehicle base lined and do preventive maintenance. I would like to examine front breaks and learn as much as I can.

I am willing to compensate for work. I appreciate all the feedback and would certainly not want to be an imposition to anyone. After sniffing through the posts I figured it would be more interesting to get the work done by people who actually care. The dealers stories I've read have made me put off actually making a trip to one that is 10 minutes from my house. I would rather commute an hour to Naperville/Woodridge/NorthSide of Chicago if you catch my drift. I will take it to the dealer if I have to but would rather not.

What do people in general refer to when they say PM me? Provide a preventice maintenance list of objectives?

PM is private message. Look at the top near WELCOME (your id) and you will see a test of the PM I sent you!

Personal Message. Click on the persons name and you will get a list. One of the options is "send member a message" click on that and you'll go to the PM screen.

I'm going to be out of the shop this weekend to go wheeling and next week to go riding. I'll be around the first and second week of August.

Thanks for looking out for me, Ali. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom