Interested in an engine swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Given how clean that rig is and seeing as it's treated like a cream puff, I'd leave that 2F alone outside of re-sealing it. You all ready have a 5 speed. You could just drive one of your many other cars when you want to go vroom vroom to the moon.

I've re-thunk the whole LS Swap now with the troubles in my state. I think I'll go newer Toyota motor like 1FZ-FE with the H55. But that's just me...

Carry on...

Won't you have the same trouble with a new Toyota motor as an LS?

Won't you have the same trouble with a new Toyota motor as an LS?

My thinking is it’s just easier to do the exact same emissions as “Toyota stock” set up than it is with an LS. I really just need to be patient... People will figure out how to do LS swaps in CA again soon enough. You can’t keep such a good thing down for that long.

My thinking is it’s just easier to do the exact same emissions as “Toyota stock” set up than it is with an LS. I really just need to be patient... People will figure out how to do LS swaps in CA again soon enough. You can’t keep such a good thing down for that long.

I don't think they are any different at all. The trucks have changed so much. The other option is to switch to a year engine (because you have to match emissions of the year of the engine) that's older and easier and has less complicated stuff. Or, go diesel because their emissions are totally different (and easier - I think) as well.

Emission controls are unique to the motor not the brand. A 2004 emission package will be stricter than a 1986 package no
matter the motor or manufacturer. Emission laws can be tough or lax depending on the state. From what I hear Cal is just
not interested in making swaps easy unless your vehicle is old enough to not need the test. An incomplete emission pack on a Toyota motor will not be any easier than a full Chevy or Ford pack to comply. It was easier in Az to pass a injected chevy swapped into a 40
than a 2F with a few missing smog parts. In my opinion the late 2F system is more complex and yet not as efficient as a later injected
OBD system. Tailpipe emissions drop significantly with a later system with far less plumbing even with a motor as economical as a GM
5.7 TBI

Given how clean that rig is and seeing as it's treated like a cream puff, I'd leave that 2F alone outside of re-sealing it. You all ready have a 5 speed. You could just drive one of your many other cars when you want to go vroom vroom to the moon.

Carry on...

That's right, you can go vroom vroom and have 4wd. German engineering and a lot of bang for the buck and it's got over twice the towing capacity of the 60:)

Model: 2004 Porsche Cayenne
Horsepower: 450 hp
MPG: 13 city / 18 highway
Engine: 4.5 L V8
Towing capacity: 7,716 lbs
Curb weight: 5,192 lbs
Transmission: 6-speed automatic

I just got home from a +5 k road trip in my 85 FJ60. First time I’ve really thought about a motor swap. Grinding it out in 3rd over the passes in the Rockies in Colorado on I-70. I really felt the lack of power, but the 2F just grunted and ate it up. Averaged over 12 mpg over the trip which I was thrilled with for a fully loaded truck. Yea, more power, better mpg would be great but I just don’t feel it would be the same. If anything a long range fuel tank would be a top priority for the next trip.:beer:

57EC71E2-6256-49C1-8FE5-08F13F302C95.jpeg

Emission controls are unique to the motor not the brand. A 2004 emission package will be stricter than a 1986 package no
matter the motor or manufacturer. Emission laws can be tough or lax depending on the state. From what I hear Cal is just
not interested in making swaps easy unless your vehicle is old enough to not need the test. An incomplete emission pack on a Toyota motor will not be any easier than a full Chevy or Ford pack to comply. It was easier in Az to pass a injected chevy swapped into a 40
than a 2F with a few missing smog parts. In my opinion the late 2F system is more complex and yet not as efficient as a later injected
OBD system. Tailpipe emissions drop significantly with a later system with far less plumbing even with a motor as economical as a GM
5.7 TBI
How is your 60 set up?

I just got home from a +5 k road trip in my 85 FJ60. First time I’ve really thought about a motor swap. Grinding it out in 3rd over the passes in the Rockies in Colorado on I-70. I really felt the lack of power, but the 2F just grunted and ate it up. Averaged over 12 mpg over the trip which I was thrilled with for a fully loaded truck. Yea, more power, better mpg would be great but I just don’t feel it would be the same. If anything a long range fuel tank would be a top priority for the next trip.:beer:

View attachment 1986519
Did a trip from nc to Breckenridge a couple years ago the pass from Denver to summit county was a struggle for my 62 loaded down with tools and my snowboarding gear everything was passing me but no motor swap for me at least not in my 62. I also stayed in Fairplay for a couple weeks had to drive over the Hoosier pass twice a day.

That's right, you can go vroom vroom and have 4wd. German engineering and a lot of bang for the buck and it's got over twice the towing capacity of the 60:)

Model: 2004 Porsche Cayenne
Horsepower: 450 hp
MPG: 13 city / 18 highway
Engine: 4.5 L V8
Towing capacity: 7,716 lbs
Curb weight: 5,192 lbs
Transmission: 6-speed automatic
Luckily already own an Audi s4 that is up to about 420 hp and awd. But that is a whole different story and another forum. But it is also leaking oil.

Okay a twist on the response here... you said EV West. I actually have been thinking about this over and over again myself.

It all depends on what a person uses their cruiser for. An all electric drive would be good off road or just sunday drives etc. Long expeditions not so much.

But I think this is something we could consider for future swaps.

While I know an LS is miles better than a 2F for power, economy and emissions I kind of like the idea of the little diesel for uniqueness.

makes my new t-case/tranny worthless. would most likely be better for a 62?

Okay a twist on the response here... you said EV West. I actually have been thinking about this over and over again myself.

It all depends on what a person uses their cruiser for. An all electric drive would be good off road or just sunday drives etc. Long expeditions not so much.

But I think this is something we could consider for future swaps.

While I know an LS is miles better than a 2F for power, economy and emissions I kind of like the idea of the little diesel for uniqueness.

makes my new t-case/tranny worthless. would most likely be better for a 62?
No they can connect to your transmission. I would be trying to do it to my H55F.

Or at a min the transfer case thru the input shaft.

They say it's easier to manual transmission. from what I have read. You can even set it up with the clutch. I looked at one electric drive on their and the best torque curve was up to 2000 rpm. Even though it went to 10k rpm. So it's in a way similar to the engine I have now.

Since I plan to own my cruiser for ever... One day it will be electrified.

How is your 60 set up?

My 60 has gone through three major changes. It was stock for a year in 2000. I retired my 55 that had a TBI359, 700e, 3:1 Mark's tcase
4:88s with air lockers, 5" lift, bumpers, winch, longrange tank, drawers, 20 gallon water, and other stuff. All the accessories transfered to the 60 except the long range , which I replaced with the appropriate 60 version. I left the 2F for a couple years but swapped in an non USA 4speed while I went through before adding the V-8. I added Vortec heads and tuned the chip for about 60 extra HP. Now it's undergoing an LT1 swap from a 1995. I still prefer the cast iron motors and the LT1 is about 300 HP. I've added a 203 doubler in front of the 3:1 case. The LT1 , stock, makes about 290hp a little less HP than the LQ4 which has more displacement but I like the flatter torque curve of the LT. It pulls about 300ft/lbs at 2100 slowly rising to 350 and holding to 6000 . The newer LS versions will make more HP but those numbers are only seen above the RPM range I like to casually drive in. The LS7 is just coming to life at 4000. That's not where I'll see my 60 going down the road very often and if you ever do try and push that kind of HP through a doubler and t-case to a stock rearend in a rock garden, I want the video. I'm generally conservative with power since I wheel a lot alone. I look for a motor that will
get me down the road at freeway speeds with the load I'm carrying even at the 6~7% grades we see in the west. Off road with the gearing I have a 2F is fine. The V-8 will do better in snow and mud if you need to get the wheels spinning but getting the wheels spinning in uneven traction with lots of torque potential is a risk unless you're walking distance to home. The 200hp TBI was good
up to about 5500 lbs of truck. I noticed it struggled after I would load up for long trips , hitting the scales over 6000. The extra 75 to 80
HP should get me over that hump and absorb any losses I see by adding a doubler

View attachment 1986519
That's excellent mileage for a 60 with that lift and those tires and a rack. 12mpg would be the maximum for most rather than average.
I would have had to keep mine 55 or below to get that average. I got nine once trying to hold 75 from Death Valley to PHX

My 60 has gone through three major changes. It was stock for a year in 2000. I retired my 55 that had a TBI359, 700e, 3:1 Mark's tcase
4:88s with air lockers, 5" lift, bumpers, winch, longrange tank, drawers, 20 gallon water, and other stuff. All the accessories transfered to the 60 except the long range , which I replaced with the appropriate 60 version. I left the 2F for a couple years but swapped in an non USA 4speed while I went through before adding the V-8. I added Vortec heads and tuned the chip for about 60 extra HP. Now it's undergoing an LT1 swap from a 1995. I still prefer the cast iron motors and the LT1 is about 300 HP. I've added a 203 doubler in front of the 3:1 case. The LT1 , stock, makes about 290hp a little less HP than the LQ4 which has more displacement but I like the flatter torque curve of the LT. It pulls about 300ft/lbs at 2100 slowly rising to 350 and holding to 6000 . The newer LS versions will make more HP but those numbers are only seen above the RPM range I like to casually drive in. The LS7 is just coming to life at 4000. That's not where I'll see my 60 going down the road very often and if you ever do try and push that kind of HP through a doubler and t-case to a stock rearend in a rock garden, I want the video. I'm generally conservative with power since I wheel a lot alone. I look for a motor that will
get me down the road at freeway speeds with the load I'm carrying even at the 6~7% grades we see in the west. Off road with the gearing I have a 2F is fine. The V-8 will do better in snow and mud if you need to get the wheels spinning but getting the wheels spinning in uneven traction with lots of torque potential is a risk unless you're walking distance to home. The 200hp TBI was good
up to about 5500 lbs of truck. I noticed it struggled after I would load up for long trips , hitting the scales over 6000. The extra 75 to 80
HP should get me over that hump and absorb any losses I see by adding a doubler
Thank you very much for your answer. I appreciate the solid information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom