1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interested? FAQ-master

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by woody, Mar 19, 2004.

1. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    Junk has done a great job of kicking off a FAQ in the 80-100 section...I'd love to see someone (or perhaps even a few someones) play with a similar idea in this corner. Might even be nice to have one 40-45 FAQ, one 55 FAQ, and a 60-62 FAQ.

Anyone interested? It pays VERY well...lol

(See Junk's sticki in the 80-100 corner for how simple it is....)

2. hmmmm i never thought i would say this but something something good came from Junk!

3. red66toy

red66toy dorkus malorkus GOLD Star

Well, people have been asking about soft tops lately, and the always popular "what lift?" question, there was a cool thread on how to make the guage lights brighter with those special bulbs, snorkels, new seats. There are many others but that was all I could think of. Just some ideas. :)

4. tewlman

tewlman

seems to me woody that there are a lot more mods too consider for 40 than there are for an 80. would be a large task for any one person( not slighting the work junk did, i was actually impressed). maybe it could be a collective effort? not sure i know enough to write one, but i would probably try.

5. Landpimp

Landpimp

I will certainly try to help, but I am too much of a flake(sometimes) to take it on myself........and my speeling is horible :D But I would like to be of some help.

I agree braking it down into models makes sense, alot will cross over but some stuff is vehical specific.

For me history is prolly my stongest suit, but I can think of a few others(ya know who you are ;) that know much more than I.

When it come to mechanicals I can replace parts and do maintence and bolt-on-ish mods/upgrades but thats about it....

One idea if this is gonna happen. it might make sense to start a new forum to discuse the FAQ, so the folks involved can share thoughts.....I dunno?

John

6. offcamber40

offcamber40

Why dont we make this agroup effort by those who want to participate.. it would probably be very easy to have each participating "FAQ Writer" pick a topic they are pretty comfortable with and post a generic question with "FAQ" somewhere in the heading. Most members identifying that the post question is for the FAQ would probably include detailed answeres to the question so the original poster could compile the information accordingly.. I guess it would then be up to Woody how the info is submitted to him.. just a thought.. I think it would be a great tool for the basic questions like tire sizes, lift stuff, difference in aftermarket carbs vs factory, desmogging, soft tops, SOA lifts.. etc..

Mike

7. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    Tops, tires, lifts, rust, parts, brush guards, paint, durabak, roof racks, spare tires, jacks, roll bars, lights, pics, PO trouble, etc...etc...etc...

I'm in favor of one to handle the urge to ask questions that most guys, if time were taken, could figure out on their own.

Perhaps in the FAQ section we could headline with a "What Belongs in Chit-Chat" post. I think "opinions" being sought should be in Chit Chat. I think the corresponding tech link could be inserted into it's respective FAQ thread.

Aye Captain, hammer out the thread, ya savvy? :p

8. Gus

Gus SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I like the idea of relying upon a few/bunch people to take on the responsibilities this whole thing. I would be interested in contributing to a FJ40/45 FAQ section.

9. woody

Media:
    Albums:
    The "FAQ-Master" is the first step, like Junk is. That person would get MOD powers and would maintain their one single stickied/locked thread in the forum, updating with new links to major topics. I don't believe Junk has written one single FAQ himself, but he has PM'd and prodded a few of the known experts who have asked the questions, done the research, and collected their notes.

It would require 3 coordinators...they then keep track of threads and topics, perhaps edit a post title to make it official, then add that to their linked list.

10. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    Wish I knew how to do that, I'd be in. I've been cringing at the amount of repeat questions lately.

11. pvaman

pvaman

Almost seems like the faq could be SO big that it needs to be structed more like the technical section -- for example an overview on lift options (and the pros/cons of the various techniques) could take quite a bit of room. Not to mention adjust valves ;).

Maybe find 3 faq masters, then get everyone to submit 'topics' that come up all the time, and then once that's kind of agreed to, get folks to sign up for a topic which they a passion for.

The bbs is awesome but it's freeform structure -- even w/a decent search engine -- causes a lot of repeat dialog. Much of that could be eliminated imho.

12. Jman

Jman

I barely know enough about Cruisers to contribute anything, since I only have a stocker 60, but I think the best utility would be to deal with the most newbie-ish questions first, things like:

1. Uh, can't get out of 4wd. . . .

2. WHAT'S THE BIGGEST TIRE I CAN FIT UNDER MY TRUCK!!!!!

3. What's the best headlight for an FJ60?

Then, cover on common problems:

1. There's goo all over my knuckles . . .

2. I've got some sort of exhaust leak in front of the carb . . .

3. It's getting hard to shift my 4-speed

4. There's water leaking out my liftgate every time I try to use my rear window washer

5. How do I lower my spare tire?

6. I want to adjust my valves myself.

Then, cover mods:

1. I want to get a lift . . .

2. I want to drop in a SBC . . .

3. I want to add on-board air

4. PS for my old 40 . . . .

I think that's the natural order any truck owner follows, if this is their first rig, so those would be the most FAQ. As for my own experience, I could try to do something on the first two lists, but haven't modded anything really.

13. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

add to that list "my transfer case lever won't budge". it's what brought me to this site in the first place.

and i'm sure i could help in some way woody, as i'm constantly on here wasting valuable study time :)

14. sherwood

sherwood

To not reinvent the wheel and to narrow down the scope and size of the FAQ and to provide some guidelines for the project ............

One could stipulate that the FAQ contain only items NOT INCLUDED in the factory repair manuals OR items not explained clearly enough in those manuals AND better ways to make repairs/adjustments/diagnosis. And, of course, modifications to stock.
    Unless their are errors or omissions in the manual, I see no need to repeat that info. After all the admonishments made on our boards, everyone should have the manuals.

You could also outline it in the same order/sequence as the manuals.......

The first line of the FAQ should be "RTFM"

John Sherwood '79 FJ-40
    Charlotte, NC TLCA Upstate Cruisers

15. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

sometimes it is easier to get it explained by the board than the manual, and sometimes the manual deals with alot at once (full axle rebuild as aposed to just replacing a free wheeling hub...) so there are shortcuts to be found with some common things.

16. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm all in favor of a FAQ stickie to guide people to previously well-done answers to common questions. But I also think that occasionally the reasking of a common question results in a new answer that just says it better, or adds a new perspective, maybe from someone who hasn't been around HERE long, but has a lot of as-yet unshared experience. Reasking the questions gives the opportunity to learn new ways to skin old cats. I wouldn't want that opportunity stifled.

17. tewlman

tewlman

would it also make sense to split the cruiser tech forum into two seperate forums: fj40, 45, 55 and then 60, 62 instead of having them all lumped together?

18. tewlman

tewlman

good point dave, everybody has a different way to get to the finish line.

19. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Maybe so, Tewlman, but they have the same engines and drivetrains, etc in common. If an FJ55 owner who knows something special about the 4 speed PTO spacer skips the FJ45 forum, someone may not get their question answered.

20. woody

Media:
    Albums:
    That's exactlee why the 40-62 stuff has been lumped together...many common items.

For new ideas, the faq-linked thread could always be bumped to the top with new information...if one thread on suspension stuff is 4 pages, at least it's good reading.