Interco TrXus MT tire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been looking to purchase a set of TrXus MTs. I like that they are a mud terrain with adequate siping for snow covered road use. D & E rated tires available in some sizes. Other BB posters & mag articles have said they're surprisingly quiet. I also like the little steps beside the inner tread blocks that supposedly help shed mud. Good side biters, too. I think they'll make a great camper pickup tire in their E-rated 285/70R-16 size.

So, I'm working from hearsay, so far. :D

Super SUPER sticky for the first 5k miles, can cling to the side of a building, but wear like a bad pair of old socks in small shoes. I know some folks who got maybe 10k of useful life out of them.

I had a set on my 62. The only complaint I had was degree of difficulty to balance. Buy them local, insist on a set that will balance easily.

TJK

Local club member has them on his 80 and has gotten much more than 10K out of them.

They are great on the trails (rocks / mud) and not too bad on the road compared to other aggressive tires.

Like TJK said, the thing he seems to struggle with the most is keeping them balanced.

I am thinking about putting a set on my 100 as well.

25K and lots of tread left on mine. Not really mine anymore but I see the truck/tires regularly.

TJK

I have heard both. Sort life and semi long life. But I have also heard similar from Goodyear MTR's as well.

Yeah, I'll get flamed for this too as I probably should, but the MTRs from many of my friends (yes I know this is 2nd had info) didn't wear well. My brother has had slow leaks in his since he got his MTRs with countless needed patches.

On the AZ-Mexico border, a few of us were suprised to see new and nearly brand new MTRs with like 99% tread being dragged behind Border Patrol trucks to grade dirt roads as they reportedly did not withstand the punishment being used as tires, yet go to Moab and 80% of every truck, Heep and Cruiser there are running 'em. Got me.

Hi all

I got them on my 4Runner, they're great on the trail, good looking.. but wear fast and have to be balanced and rotated frequently ~4k miles... they lose balance all the time.. Got Dick Cepek FCII on my 100 with no complaints.

My GY MT/R's have worn admirably and taken some hard rock/off-road usage. My complaint of them, like above, is that they tend to need rebalancing every 3k...although per advice on here I had them Road Force Balanced the last time they were out of balance and haven't had a problem since...

...but I am thinking about trying the Toyo Open Country M/T: Heard they are quieter, very round and balanced case construction and tough...I guess we'll see.

Pskhaat said:
Super SUPER sticky for the first 5k miles, can cling to the side of a building, but wear like a bad pair of old socks in small shoes. I know some folks who got maybe 10k of useful life out of them.
This probably occured because of a combination of driving style and too low inflation. In my experience, most wheelers don't know to run radial tires at or near the mfr maximum inflation figure for on-road tread longevity. Too many 4-wheelers run large, radial tires in the twenties, inflation wise, which lets the sidewall flex too much. Too much side wall flex lets the tread come out from directly under the rim too far too often while road running which enables abnormal wear from tread too *misaligned* in relation to the rim. Flex at high speed from low inflation also causes extra heat which is the primary enemy of tires and cause of both accelerated tire wear and carcass deterioration.

Maintaining max inflation also limits roll under which reduces wear on the outer edges of the lugs that, from what I've seen, tend to wear first on wheeler's rigs. Also, most 4x4 mags used to preach inflating large 4x4 tires until the entire tread contacted the road surface for best traction. But it is the sidewall that mostly controls handling, not the tread, so they sacrificed handling for traction. Tread wear was the result. What do they care. When they need new tires, they schedule a tire test.

Of course, I'm not counting bias tires, when coming out from a trail, while on snow covered roads, or perhaps traveling through high heat in desert regions though I'm still not sure it wouldn't still be right to run max inflation there, too. This is just one of my pet peeves.

The TrXus has a slight variation of the run-of-the-mill radial MT tread design. Since all non-competiton radial MTs wear well, it's unlikely that the TrXus wear fast unless they are a soft compound which is also unlikely. I have heard that the 6-ply TrXus sizes wear a little faster than the 10-ply sizes, but that's definitely hearsay. Probably true for any same brand & type tire comparison between 6-ply and 10-ply since belts add stability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom