Integral Vacuum System to Keep my LC Clean (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you have weathertech mats? They really protect my truck well.
Yes, I do!

However, I also have size 13EEE boots and frequently the dirt is scraped over the edge of the mats .

Yes, I do!

However, I also have size 13EEE boots and frequently the dirt is scraped over the edge of the mats .
What about getting some of that flexible plastic like the type those cheap aftermarket Subaru mud flaps are made of in a 6 inch strip and velcro or rivet it to the edge of the weathertech mat so it extends the coverage of the mat? Since it's kind of under the dash few would notice.

Why is everyone treating this like a joke? This is a fantastic idea and, IMO, one of the greatest and most overlanding oriented innovations we've had on this forum in recent years.

A few things -

I think 1" hose will be better, based on the CFM you calculated. No concerns about vacuum strength but that airflow is weak.

Nobody has mentioned how you'd need some way to block off the main intake conveniently. You would want to divert all airflow through the vacuum hose. With this in mind, I think you'd be best off attaching to a snorkel which many enthusiasts already have. This reduces hose length too, which is good.

Then how to deal with dust and debris - people are not sufficiently giving the separator and filter enough credit. I am confident they'd be fine without a prefilter.

Lastly, hose storage sucks. I don't know how to solve this problem.

Good luck.

Why is everyone treating this like a joke? This is a fantastic idea and, IMO, one of the greatest and most overlanding oriented innovations we've had on this forum in recent years.

A few things -

I think 1" hose will be better, based on the CFM you calculated. No concerns about vacuum strength but that airflow is weak.

Nobody has mentioned how you'd need some way to block off the main intake conveniently. You would want to divert all airflow through the vacuum hose. With this in mind, I think you'd be best off attaching to a snorkel which many enthusiasts already have. This reduces hose length too, which is good.

Then how to deal with dust and debris - people are not sufficiently giving the separator and filter enough credit. I am confident they'd be fine without a prefilter.

Lastly, hose storage sucks. I don't know how to solve this problem.

Good luck.
Thank you for the inspiration to continue the quest!

I have been pondering the hose type and storage location as well. It may be able to be clipped to the headliner around the interior and can act as an impact buffer in a collision as well.

If the hose is rated properly for the exhaust temperatures at the tailpipe, it could serve double duty. Mostly stored in the rear passenger fender, cut an exit hole under the truck and connected to the tailpipe to pressurize the cabin in dusty environments.

I have been infatuated with this concept since this morning after I naively said whisk broom. Dyson vacuum uses a Solid hose inside collapsible hose stashed in the handle. You pull the solid hose out and it redirects air from the beater bar to the wand. What if you used that concept in the snorkel. A supercharger would surely kink the accordion style hose but the solid one on the inside would assure smooth airflow when stowed. Have the hose redirect air to the engine when not deployed. Pull the solid hose out and the collapsible one follows to give the distance necessary to properly clean the truck. You could even use the vacuum attachments that come with most vacuums.

how often the dust filer needs emptying out would be my most immediate question from an "ongoing maintenance" perspective

I have been infatuated with this concept since this morning after I naively said whisk broom. Dyson vacuum uses a Solid hose inside collapsible hose stashed in the handle. You pull the solid hose out and it redirects air from the beater bar to the wand. What if you used that concept in the snorkel. A supercharger would surely kink the accordion style hose but the solid one on the inside would assure smooth airflow when stowed. Have the hose redirect air to the engine when not deployed. Pull the solid hose out and the collapsible one follows to give the distance necessary to properly clean the truck. You could even use the vacuum attachments that come with most vacuums.
Yep you're onto something here. This is the way. We'd need a lawyer to ensure we aren't infringing on any prior art

Earlier this year I spent a few weeks in the DV desert - lots of dust in the silt beds.

Used my 12V hard wired compressor (that feeds a tank) to blow dust off things. That silt powder is 'fine' and 'sticky'. You can have much higher PSI as compressed air versus trying to suck - you can only pull around 14psi of vacuum...

I was more interested in blowing the dust out of the vents, off general surfaces and where it 'collected' in the window sills and rear tailgate area. Compressed air (100psi plus) did a good enough job of getting rid of most of the dust/powder - well, enough that I didn't care until back in town.

I have rubber mats that are easy to pull out to dump excess foot traffic 'dirt'. My threshold for dirt/dust is pretty high though, from many oz bush trips over the decades :)

cheers,
george.

What type of air compressor you have? This is mine with custom made tank

299046027_10159215701082055_7409803544339785868_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom