intall kits for da R&P (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HELP.. on installing da R&P

for putting the new gears in...do i really need the full install kit or can i just order the minimal intall kit from randy's r&p?? the full kits are 144 and was not planning on spending 300 and some change for just the install kits...any ideas?? if i really need it i'll get em...

im going to be installing them as soon as they get in... any pointers ya want to throw up or tools to get post it cruiserheads...

thanks agian...
-Al :beer:

Last edited:
Hey Al, how high (or low...damn, I can't ever get that straight..) are you going? 4.11s? 4.56? I'm buying used whole diffs--doing the ring gears sounds like a fussy PITA. Keep us posted!

4.56's since its a DD and i need a lil rubber over drive...4.56 and 35s is gonna put me back to stock...which is awesome on the trail but kinda crappy for any kind of road speed....so im movin up to the 37's but thats after an aussie up front and ram asisit...which i found out is not all that expsensive....and much easier than working out to get the size arms i need to turn the wheel like on lower 2 ;) ...

This redneck tow truck driver owes me a few favors, must recently for not arresting his son last weekend. he's got a shop full of stuff.... I'll ask if he has an install kit and come help you. My fat ass needs to sweat off a few pound anyway.

I also just did some 4.11's and I went ahead and bought the install kits from SOR. I was a good Idea since I found out that both bearings in the back were shot. Good luck.

Al -
If you can, buy 'em locally & get everything. That way you avoid return trips to the parts place, & everything you don't need is returnable for cash & it's your bonus for being such a fine, upstanding citizen.

But do what 3putt says or he'll put your rasta rook ass in jail!

i'll talk to 3putt and see what he can do....Sooo it looks like i should drop 3 bills for the better install kits? or wait til kurt pics up the phone at outfitters??? i'll give kurty kurt a call agian today....

Either way Lowtide, you should use new and complete install kits. The main expense is the new bearing set. Why would you want to reuse old bearings? The pinion bearings in particular, are often thrashed this late in your Cruiser's life. That's not to mention the possibility of damage when the old bearings are pressed off. I know it seems expensive, but for what you will pay in labor and time, those new bearing kits will seem cheap. If the extra $250 will prevent you from paying the rent, you shouldn't be messing with the gears anyway. I also reccomend that you use Toyota pinion seals. The ones that come in the kits are usually generic ones, though I'm not sure about Kurt's. Knowing him, he may actually source real Toyota seals.

i'll talk to kurt and see whats in his sets...

The carrier bearings are probably not an issue the pinion bearings might be.

Additionally, unless you are replacing the carrier you do nto have to remove the carrier bearings.

A full kit is a good idea. But if you change crap a lot it is not necessary..

just did mine

4.88's only changed the rear pinion bearing on both diffs
there is no way to reuse that bearing.you destroy it taking it off your old pinion.
cruiser bearings are tough and easy to change(if you end up having to) :D

2badfjs

was it your first time? any tips? (this sounds like viginity talk)
anyone know what comes in kurts kits?

his page no longer lists it and his ass is out of town til UROC is over...i need these freakin gears in before the 29th...i figure its gonna take me a whole weekend just to do it.

lowtideride said:
2badfjs

was it your first time? any tips? (this sounds like viginity talk)
anyone know what comes in kurts kits?

his page no longer lists it and his ass is out of town til UROC is over...i need these freakin gears in before the 29th...i figure its gonna take me a whole weekend just to do it.

it was my first time, but i have a former toyota tech working for us.
depending on what year you have,my 84 just had shims,no crush washer.
that made it real easy.
DO NOT get year side bearings and races mixed up,make sure you keep track of them.
first thing, pull your carrier.
them you need to get your pinion depth before you take it out(the pinion that is)
once you have that depth, write it down,the new one you install will have to be as exact as possable!
if you have a cruch sleave on the pinion,i have no idea how to do one like that.sorry.
i would hope you have a FSM.
but if you have shims, it makes it real easy.
you will need to remove the rear pinion race out of the housing.
use a drift(kinda like a punch,but flat at both ends)
if you have shims,you will want to be careful removing the race,the shim will be between the race and the housing.
if you don't damage it,you can reuse it IMO
NEW BEARING ON NEW PINION.....
when installing the new rear pinion bearing on the pinion(the rear bearing next to the gear)
throw the bearing in your oven, oh maybe 400 degrees.cook it for 15 min.
put your pinion in the freezer for about an hour or a little longer.
the bearing will expand and the pinion will contract.
you'll get the bearing on part way, and you'll need to prolly tap it down the reast of the way,do this while both pieces are hot and cold,
DONT GET YOUR BEARING BACKWARDS!!!!!!! ;)

my brain is frying.
pm me, i'll give you my phone# if you need help. ;)
jim

FJAfrica said:
I recently put the 4.88's in, ordered the install kits from CruiserOutfitters, $108 a piece.

ps, the 4.88 on 35's are pretty neat with the 5 speed box. 75 mph - 3100 rpm (GPS figures)

I had thought that 4.88s with 35s were the closest to a stock ratio with an FJ62 (4.11 stock with equivelent to 28" tires). Am I wrong here?

You are correct, except mine had 3.7's in. These ratio's are ideal for me, can happily cruise at 65 mph doing 2700 rpm and the low range gearing is really sweet. I would definately recomend 4.88's if you have the 5 speed with the 0.86 overdrive.

FJAfrica said:
You are correct, except mine had 3.7's in. These ratio's are ideal for me, can happily cruise at 65 mph doing 2700 rpm and the low range gearing is really sweet. I would definately recomend 4.88's if you have the 5 speed with the 0.86 overdrive.

Didn't all FJ62s come stock with 4.11s? I had always thought 60s = 3.7 and 62 4.11. I know my 62 has 4.11s in it right now.

lowtideride said:
i'll talk to 3putt and see what he can do....Sooo it looks like i should drop 3 bills for the better install kits? or wait til kurt pics up the phone at outfitters??? i'll give kurty kurt a call agian today....

Hey sucka... call me today... I was at UROC in Indiana all weekend... :D

Hey brudda thanks for the hook up....the velveeta thanks you!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom