Intake pipe mod / better intake noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you have ever driven a Vtec Civic, a AE86 Corolla or any dual overhead cam vehicle with no air intake restrictions and you appreciate proper engine noise (intake), you will know what im talking about.

I was thinking of modifying the intake pipe of my LX to remove the bulky noise reductors (big bulky boxes) to get better noise from the great V8 we have.
My previous FJ Cruiser had a Volant closed box intake and after adding the snorkel it make a great noise at about 3500-4500 rpm.
Adding a "cold air" intake is not a option due to the fact that in my opinion they will cause more damage than an actual upgrade.

The idea is to cut at the red lines and add 3 fittings where the red dots are to connect the vacuum lines.

Have someone else done something similar? do you guys have any other ideas?

Thanks

I did it for the space and ease of seeing everything, not to mention a breaker bar on the belt tensioner with removing the big box. I like to see everything, and it's easier to clean. PLus it's cheap and I had most of the stuff as leftovers, minus the big 90°.
I thought about cutting off the side boxes on the stock piece also. But it's more sensible to keep it intact for the future buyer. I really like looking down on the front of the engine without having to remove anything. Yes it's louder. NO I don't think it gets better mpg, and I don't know about intake air temps, I haven't looked. I imagine not considering all the coolant flowing through the throttle.

IMG_20190214_125956.jpg

I agree with all that, but this engine isn't loud. I won't be, even if you stuck a filter on the throttle itself.
The only thing I thought was important was good signals for the fuel regulator and the pre butterfly power steering pump.
Then, flow at close to zero vacuum. That was it. I doubt there is very much volume change in open loop, whatever percentage that happens to be on the butterfly. I just like the ease of it. That's all.

Get a snorkel. Roll down the passenger window. Done! You have sound and can also cross a river!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom