Intake Manifold Gasket Soot 3fe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What would cause this soot to build up on above the intake manifold gasket? Does it need intake and exhaust gaskets?

I’m chasing occasionally knock sound. Oil pressure and level is good, it comes and goes usually at around 1500-2000, and sounds thuddier than a rod knock. I just rehabbed the front of the engine (timing cover seals, water pump, new belts) but I rechecked everything over the weekend to make sure everything was tight. Could it be related?

EB047348-A885-4B29-849F-CA139C4D8A38.png

Try cleaning it off with brake clean and see if it comes back. But to answer your question if it’s carbon it would most likely come from a leak in your exhaust manifold or leaking exhaust manifold gasket. Could also be a crack in your exhaust manifold

could be coming from the EGR too...but it looks pretty clean around there.

Last edited:
Did you figure out what that soot was coming from? I've got similar soot from same location and tick/ click from exhaust.

Is it just on those runners? If yes I'm betting a slight leak from your EGR union or the nut on it. Likely unrelated to the occasional knock sound.

Is it just on those runners? If yes I'm betting a slight leak from your EGR union or the nut on it. Likely unrelated to the occasional knock sound.
My EGR is deleted. I have exhaust leak coming from engine bay and soot building up from rear of engine, closest to the firewall/ cabin. Trying to figure out if its a exhaust gasket leak or headers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom