Intake manifold coming off what else to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched for this but could not find a comprehensive list. Long story short, the intake manifold is coming off this upcoming weekend, I plan on addressing the following items:

VSV for EGR

EGR removal and cleaning (I read there were gaskets for this-are there two?)

Fuel Filter

TB gasket (I cleaned the TB <1 month ago), I buggered up my new gasket over this weekend when I took the TB body off to access the VSV.

New vacuum/fuel lines

Injectors-I don't think this will work this time around, I plan on removing the intake on Saturday or Sunday and I need the vehicle on the following Tuesday, so I plan on getting the injectors when I do the headgasket later on this summer.

This one is out of left field but are the oxygen sensors easier replacing when the intake is off or does it not make a difference? (Truck is a 96 with 172K so I would like new O2 sensors sometime soon).

Anything else I am forgetting?

Any pitfalls or problems areas I need to watch out for? I read and it sounds like the EGR removal is tricky with some studs?

Thanks everyone!

... are the oxygen sensors easier replacing when the intake is off or does it not make a difference?

The O2 sensors are in the exhaust system; one is before the cat and one is after the cat. R&R of the O2 sensors is the same whether or not the intake is on or off.

EGR removal and cleaning (I read there were gaskets for this-are there two?)

There is 1 metal gasket that goes over the studs (which you had to remove to get the thing off) and between the EGR valve and the intake manifold. It is quite easy to drop the thing into no-man's land and have to buy another or reuse the old one... BTDT.

I pulled the EGR valve twice for "cleaning". This was many years ago and nobody could tell me what to clean or how to clean it. Knowledgeable people just suggested cleaning it, so I attempted. I sprayed it with brake cleaner. I wiped it with rags. I soaked it in carb cleaner. I brushed it with a wire brush. I am pretty sure that nothing was cleaner after all this and, when the P0401 came back about 2 months later, I dutifully pulled it off and cleaned it again (as suggested by others.) The P0401 returned shortly after.

So, if you actually improve anything by this "cleaning" then I would be surprised. Take some before, during, and after pics so I can figure out what the hell people are doing to clean that bloody EGR valve.

-B-

Last edited:
PHH and the #1 water hose (I think it is the #1). It is the water hose that snakes up through the intake and connects to the bottom of the TB. Also re-wrap the wiring harness. It is much easier to move the wrap tape around the harness with the intake removed. Buy 3 of cans of carburator cleaner from walmart and a round 1 inch brush used to shine up copper pipe fittings from a plumbing store. You will be able to get the intake really clean with both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom