INSURANCE PROBLEMS WITH JDM's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just had a call from another JDM owner asking where I got Insurance for my truck..??
I had no problems at all...
He has tried all the major companys with NO luck getting his truck insured.
They just tell him they will not insure Right hand drive vehicles..
Is any one aware out there that the insurance companys will not insure Right Hand Drive JDM's..??

OR better still WHO WILL or WHERE to get JDM's insured.........???

Richard:

Just to clarify...I assume that you already have insurance on your 1990 LJ78, but your friend who just imported his cannot get any insurance on his newly imported JDM vehicle?

I've never heard of that problem here (yet) in BC. Here in BC, ICBC requires JDM vehicles to apply for a BC-Assigned VIN number as the shorter VIN of the older JDM vehicles are considered "non-conforming VINs". I would assume that if ICBC were to refuse insurance on JDM's, that they would first refuse to assign VINs, because when you go to insure the vehicle, as far as they know it's just another "Land Cruiser".

Stone > Yes that is correct I have insurance was not an issue for me..
I also have a BC vin on my truck..
That is something I did not ask the caller..VIN #
ICBC is that an insurance company out there??

some companies are restricted as tot he serial number as to whether they can insure a unit or not. i have never had a problem but i have heard of others that refuse to insure so just like the registration and OOP inspections, it depends where and who you are insuring with. if you get trouble get rid of that insurance company...

Hi Richard, the ins. companies are giving your friend a line of crap. They are simply refusing to give him insurance for a bogus reason - everyone is entitiled to insurance by the way.

Tell your friend to call the insurance hotline of ontario, they will point him to a broker that will do it.

I was insured by liberty mutual a few years ago - they were bought out by TD inurance - who refused to insure my trucks - I bailed out of them and went with another broker. For oddball things like wierd VIN's or homebuilts they put you into a facilities market - that is for higher risk they say.

Fricking ins companies.

Regards

Louis nice to hear from you..
I hear exactly what you are saying.

Thanks all for your input..

ICBC is 'the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia', a BC only provincial run insurance company. They are the only way to get auto insurance here in BC. Now having said that, there are private insurance companys in BC that you can get all the extra frills from, but all vehicles in BC have to get their primary basic insurance from them.
We here in BC curse and swear at them constantly, but always seem to hear stories about how other provinces with private insurance get it even worse.

Yeah as much as people bitch about ICBC, from what I've read about what goes on in Ontario and their insurance system, I'll take ICBC any day.

Here in Calgary, i'm insured with AMA, and other than a slight confusion with the VIN length, they insured it with no problems. Very easy process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom