Insurance for your FJ60 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DUTCHDJ1

SILVER Star
Threads
Would like to get advice on how others are insuring vehicles.
I'm picking up a 1990 FJ62 with low miles (88K) and it is easily insured by Hagerty until I put a bumper on the front. Then they won't insure as it's deemed an offroad vehicle now.

What does everyone do for their insurance to make sure they keep the value of the vehicle insured? I'm not worried about offroad as I won't be going crazy but am more worried about the idiots on cell phones on the highway. My normal insurance will only insure what Kelly Blue Book or similar rates it (which will be far below value)

Any and all advice is welcome to make sure I can insure it to its real value. No issue proving to a comapny that it has value over the lowball values on KBB, edmunds, etc.

Thanks all. I have done some searching through the forum but haven't found anything. Sorry if this is in the wrong section but wasn't sure where to put this question.

May want to verify as I was told it would basically cover cruising around but anytime it was parked it needed to be my locked garage. No errands and that type of use.
I just insured my FJ62 yesterday and have a 5K mileage but could have opted for 7500. No driving restrictions. And doesn't have to be in my garage. Although when I clean it to make room I'll get a further discount. And I read over all of the policy documents.

Thanks for starting this thread, I have been meaning to look into getting full coverage. I went onto Hagerty website and got a quote of about $1K per year to insure two 60's, one valued at $35K and one at $15K. They both get driven but not a lot, maybe 1500 miles per year each. I am going to give it some thought but that seems pretty fair. I need to look into the policy exclusions though. For example my son (he is 26 now) drives them sometimes and I need to be sure there is also coverage for that. If anyone has any experience with making a claim on a Hagerty policy that would be good to hear about. Like most people I hate dealing with insurance companies and sometimes just think it is easier to roll the dice and be as careful as possible. I do have liability coverage as required in TX on the 60's but that is cheap and easy to obtain anywhere.

Thanks for starting this thread, I have been meaning to look into getting full coverage. I went onto Hagerty website and got a quote of about $1K per year to insure two 60's, one valued at $35K and one at $15K. They both get driven but not a lot, maybe 1500 miles per year each. I am going to give it some thought but that seems pretty fair. I need to look into the policy exclusions though. For example my son (he is 26 now) drives them sometimes and I need to be sure there is also coverage for that. If anyone has any experience with making a claim on a Hagerty policy that would be good to hear about. Like most people I hate dealing with insurance companies and sometimes just think it is easier to roll the dice and be as careful as possible. I do have liability coverage as required in TX on the 60's but that is cheap and easy to obtain anywhere.
Do check Grundy as well. My $750 Hagerty quote was $270 at Grundy.

In Canada you cannot get anything but basic liability and property damage on a RHD import these days, and the cost is about 3x the normal rate.

Went with Hagerty and the cost dropped to 1/3 (about $500} and coverage included full value, comp and glass. The stipulation it was covered and driven less than 7500 km. Covered could mean many things.

Anyway all good, just hope the insurance is legit. Jay Leno can't be wrong, right?

Hagerty seems to be all over the place on restrictions, or lack thereof. As long as I had another car registered in my name (I have a garage so that didn't come up). I don't have any restrictions, mileage or usage. Though I'm sure if I flipped it wheeling they'd say no dice.
I also had to have another car registered in my name. I was not required to have it in the garage. However, once it is in the garage and I send them a pic of both of my Hagerty insured cars in the garage I will get a further discount on the Land Cruiser. Just got my 1990 FJ62 on Friday. Happy to be back in the Land Cruiser fold again. I haven't had one for over 15 years.

In Canada you cannot get anything but basic liability and property damage on a RHD import these days, and the cost is about 3x the normal rate.

Went with Hagerty and the cost dropped to 1/3 (about $500} and coverage included full value, comp and glass. The stipulation it was covered and driven less than 7500 km. Covered could mean many things.

Anyway all good, just hope the insurance is legit. Jay Leno can't be wrong, right?
I've had Hagerty since 2009 on a 68 Pontiac Firebird and have never had an issue. And no issues when I have had it flatbed towed to a shop for some work a few times over the last several years.

I've never had an accident claim with them but never any issues when I've had it towed to a shop via flatbed from my house when my car (1968 Pontiac Firebird) wasn't driveable and issue was beyond what I could fix (I do most things on my cars). Just added my newly acquired FJ62 to the policy and they had no issues with my 18 year old driving it. They just added all eligible drivers in the household.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom