Instrument panel face removal 89 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got the 12 screws out of the panel face and it's loose but I'm assuming the speedometer cable has to be disconnected, along with the instrument connectors. I cannot see a way to get to them.

Do you have to take off the top dash pad. Is it just glued down?

I've look in 30 plus pages of this forums here but can't find what I would need.

My objective is to get the radio out which once this panel is out of the way I'll have access to.

Tks. Capt Ron

Ill assume you took off the lower dash faceplate as well (where your A/c controls are).

The speedo cable is the one that typically holds you back from reaching behind the gauges to disconnect them. You can give it some extra slack. About midway up your shin when you are using the gas pedal you will see the speedo cable coming out of the floorboard by your lower A/C ducts, pull it to generste some slack and then push it up towards your instrument cluster. That should give you enough room to resch in snd disconnect it from the speedo gauge. Once you have that out, the rest is fiddly but doable.
No need to remove dash pad.

I've got the 12 screws out of the panel face and it's loose but I'm assuming the speedometer cable has to be disconnected, along with the instrument connectors. I cannot see a way to get to them.

Do you have to take off the top dash pad. Is it just glued down?

I've look in 30 plus pages of this forums here but can't find what I would need.

My objective is to get the radio out which once this panel is out of the way I'll have access to.

Tks. Capt Ron
Escapewagon is correct. I just replaced my dash pad with New, as mine had cracks. Also replaced the instrument panel, cleaned up the guages, vents, etc., as you can see from the pics, the speed cable and three plugs from the guages. just reach inside with one hand and unplug. Just make sure you have all the screws out. Good luck.

Dash Pad 2.jpg

Dash Pad 3.jpg

Dash Pad 4.jpg

Dash Pad 5.jpg

Dash Pad.jpg

Thanks, I found it, but boy I have not been able to budge it even a little. Have not looked but is it accessible from below.

Had the trans rebuilt a little over a year ago, the guy did a fantastic job but I wonder if it got pinched somehow.

Speedo Cable.jpg

Thanks, I found it, but boy I have not been able to budge it even a little. Have not looked but is it accessible from below.

Had the trans rebuilt a little over a year ago, the guy did a fantastic job but I wonder if it got pinched somehow.

View attachment 2503443
The Speedo cable Is little tuff...I believe you need to squeeze the connector on the cable.... though it doesn’t feel like it gives way,,, but it does. I wiggled it side to side which pulling on it. Had to wear gloves for better grip. And I had to use both hands. I did not remove from below.

I just did this with HJ61 which has the same full width instrument panel. To get more slack I removed the speedo cable from the hanger on the side of the transmission and also removed a cable clip next to it. With that and pulling from the spot in your photo I was able to get enough slack to get my hand behind and disconnect behind the cluster.

a simple way to get more length it’s to disconnect the cable at the transmission. very easy and will save your knuckles

I got it. Turned out the cable shielding around the cable at the end of the transmission was caught on something preventing the cable from going any farther. Once I got that unstuck I had enough cable to pull the panel out far enough to just get a couple of fingers in there to disengage it. Also when they put the tranny back in they didn't connect the top stay under the body so that part of the cable was already free.
Thanks again.

Just wanted to add my thanks for this thread. Helped a TON today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom