Instrument cluster removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.humboldt.edu
Could somebody give me some quick tips etc. to make my life easier before I dive in. I searched and looked at the tech links but could not find an explicit how-to. I understand you have to remove the speedo cable but... tricks for that too?

Tnx,
B:beer:

Last edited:
Disconnect the negative battery connection so that you do not arc out the ammeter leads.

There is a little plastic tab that you pinch to release the catch on the end of speedometer cable, where it attaches to the back of the speedometer head. Pinch this, and pull the cable away from the speedometer, and it should slide right off.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks.

Is it possible to reach up behind the cluster to disconnect the speedo cable, or do you have to yank it out far enough to reach behind from the outside?

Just don't wanna bust anything....

B

After you disconnect the battery, remove the two screws that hold the instrument cluster to the dash and let the cluster pop out a bit. At this point you will be able to reach the speedo cable and the cluster wires. Once you disconnect all of these, the cluster comes right out.

Jer

A'ight, this is on a BJ42 so something might be different but I can't really imagine why....

There is no way I can get behind the cluster after taking the screws out. I don't know if the speedo is hung up on something or what, but the cluster just won't come out far enough. I have another cluster with me so I can see that there are 2 tabs on the bottom that kinda hook it into the dash, but the cluster won't fold out enough to lift it off those tabs.

Sounds like there's something else going on with this one--not easy.

B

Diescipel said:
There is no way I can get behind the cluster after taking the screws out. I don't know if the speedo is hung up on something or what, but the cluster just won't come out far enough.
Sounds like you haven't disconnected the speedo cable yet. Find someone with skinny arms to reach up from under the dash and disconnect it. Then the cluster should hinge forward on the tabs you mentioned. At this point the harness and ammeter wires will limit its travel, but not like you're describing.

there should be enough slack on all the wires and speedo cable for you to pull it out enough to unscrew and take everything out. why do you need to take it out anyways?

Thanks Toad, you win the sequence-of-operations prize...

B

74fj40 said:
there should be enough slack on all the wires and speedo cable for you to pull it out enough to unscrew and take everything out. why do you need to take it out anyways?

Had to reach up behind it, inside the dash. No way there was enough slack. Again, this is an 83 BJ42 so it might be different.

Taking it out to...

1. Install higher wattage cluster bulbs to I can see the damn thing at night.
2. Replace the KMPH/mph non-USA speedo/broken Kms Odometer with a MPH/kmph USA working miles Odometer.
3. Generally mix and match the 2 clusters to get the best of both on the rig, keeping in mind all the while that the BJ is 24 volt, the FJ cluster 12.

Thanks for the help all.

:cheers: :beer:
B

Last edited:
74fj40 said:
there should be enough slack on all the wires and speedo cable for you to pull it out enough to unscrew and take everything out.

not with the 71 and later clusters....the speedo connection hits the cowl seam, preventing it from tipping out...

same problem

I did exactly the same thing on my 82 bj 42. Had to play with it but it finally just came out. Replaced the speedo face and complete odometer with ones from my 75 fj, also the gas and temp guages. It all works soI guess their interchangeable. Got to go back in for the lights half the bulbs are dead. Got new ones from 4 wheel.

When you put it back in, pull the speedo cable slack through the firewall.
If you dont do this you may find there is a kink and the inner will break within a week.
The repolacement inner will break within a week also, if you leave the kink in when replacing the inner.
I know this :(

it might be helpfull to remove the 2 bolts that hold the steering colume to the dash, then you can drop the colume a bit and the cluster will come out much easier. The late model clusters are harder(at least for me) to remove than the earlier ones.

Landpimp said:
it might be helpfull to remove the 2 bolts that hold the steering colume to the dash, then you can drop the colume a bit and the cluster will come out much easier. The late model clusters are harder(at least for me) to remove than the earlier ones.

This all would have been useful to know about two months ago! I swear it took me about three hours to get that damn thing out. Dropping the column a bit makes so much sense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom