Instrument cluster removal on '82 FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm pretty savvy at searching for information before posting or at least I thought I was... I need to remove the instrument cluster to repair the odometer. There are some threads but I'm not getting anywhere. I understand the speedo cable has to come off first. One thread say remove the steering column support. I can't see how that is going to give me enough room. Another says to disconnect the cable from the transfer case to give needed slack. Still another mentioned removing the cable from some clips on the firewall which I can't find. I can work my hand up on the right side of the column and feel the back side of the cluster, but there isn't enough room to release the cable. I've got small hands but not small enough.

At a loss as getting the cluster out. Would sincerely appreciate your words of wisdom.

OK. Disregard my post. Figured out the solution was to remove the defroster duct. Got the cable disconnected.

Ok I did this last week and I'll try and describe it blow by blow. It's actually really easy.

First disconnect the battery! Apparently it's really easy to blow up your gauges otherwise.

You could probably get enough slack out of the cable without disconnecting it if you take it off all the clips mounting the cable to the firewall. But it's way easier to just disconnect the cable.

Get a pair of vice grips or similar and unscrew it from the transfer case. Then follow the cable along releasing it from all clips till you get a heap of slack going into the speedo.

The instrument cluster comes out real easy then. Just wriggle it heaps and your hand will easily get it and be able to disconnect the speedo.

Fixing the stuck odometer was really easy. I was pretty scared to start with but take your time and organise all your screws and it is pretty simple. I really struggled getting the roll pin that holds the odometer in place out. That took me half an hour and im not sure what I did differently in the end to get it out.
On the video he gets it out in 1 second. I think I'm just an idiot.

Only other tip is make sure when you out the numbers on the numbers are perfectly in line!! Maybe even angle them down a tiny tiny bit. Mine was a bit out and because you look down on the odometer when driving it made it look worse and I couldn't see 1/4 of the numbers.
It looked s*** so I pulled it back out and did it again.

At the same time I replaced my speedo cable as it was snapped. When I put it back together the speedo needle was really bouncing, way worse than before.

I lubed the brand new cable and cleaned out the part the speedo plugs into. Im pretty sure that was the problem. Heaps of oil came out.

Now it works perfect and it's the smoothest needle I've ever seen. I really recommend spraying some Degreaser into it even if your speedo isn't super bouncy.

Any questions let me know!

This video is really helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom