Instrument Cluster idea, anyone here program arduino or similar? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like a new instrument cluster for my FJ40 and know how I want to implement it, but it requires a simple microcontroller program. I'm not really setup right now to do this since I have too many irons in the fire and was wondering if someone else had the desire for a first rate cluster and the programming chops to do that part of the project in exchange for some really nice CNC machined parts to complete a cluster of their own?

What I'm thinking is just a simple arduino board driving some small (6mm) micro steppers with dials on them. I can silk screen some EL panels with the the scales, and CNC'ing all the rest of the cluster parts is no problem at all.

Anyone in on on this idea?

I've partially worked on this. I bought the arduino uno and the Switec X27.168 stepper motors. Worked a little bit with the programming learning it and then stopped. If I remember correctly the UNO didn't have enough pinouts to do more than 3 gauges since each needs 4 ports. Would probably have to go to the mega. Wasn't quite sure if the mega could push the steppers. That's all I remember.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,84089.0.html

Serial in, parallel out shift register of the TTL variety would fix both problems. Any interest in picking the project back up?

I could do some research in this. I wouldn't be able to start programming until i get back from my training (mid December). Ive programmed quite a bit with arduinos from children's toys with tilt sensors and audio to this! A fully functional iron man helmet with servos, lights, and sounds - all activated by an internal accelerometer.

1414076189086.jpg

1414076270581.jpg

Cool, let me know. I'll put together a plate with some microsteppers and dial on them.

I could do some research in this. I wouldn't be able to start programming until i get back from my training (mid December). Ive programmed quite a bit with arduinos from children's toys with tilt sensors and audio to this! A fully functional iron man helmet with servos, lights, and sounds - all activated by an internal accelerometer.
This definitely redefines heads up display.

Is there just not much interest in a new improved FJ cluster? I put a bunch of hours into doing the CAD work on the mechanical side and I'm ready to start cutting parts, but if antfj is the only other interested party, I'll drop this thread after doing a couple of sets for the two of us. If anyone else is on the fence, let me know and I'll post some prototype pics before I drop it...

Even if antfj bails for some reason, I'll still finish the project. It will just take a little longer before I clear the queue and get to the programing. And truth be told, I'll probably start doing that in the next week or two when my microsteppers get here just to fill free time. But if I do it by myself, it won't be iron man style and I could always use advice on the aesthetics...

Last edited:
bumping this thread- I program arduino's and have a 3d printer. I/O on the new arduino's is much improved and cost is cheaper since 2014.. .. anyone still interested?

My guess would be you will see little interest. There is already a complete replacement digital gauge cluster available from Dakota Digital with a raft full of options for it.

My guess would be you will see little interest. There is already a complete replacement digital gauge cluster available from Dakota Digital with a raft full of options for it.

old thread to be surfing coolerman!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom