Installing steering dampner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to install the steering dampner I'm getting from Slee with my OME suspension upgrade while sitting in Dave's driveway on Sunday morning.

I don't see any instructions on Christo's site so I'll ask here. :doh:

What tools do we need? Any advice? How long would this take?

This just has to be good enough to drive for 20 miles or so to get home so if there's a easy way to just "haywire it" then that would work.

Don't ask why I'm doing this. ::)

R

FWIW.
I have had my ome set on since just after I bought my second cruiser and have been wanting to do this for a while now. for tool acess We have all the wrenches and sockets and what not and a few BFH s. I have a gm style (pickle fork ?) tie rod puller and just want to know if I need to borrow some goodies form my shop for the weekend.
Dave, trying to help riley out.

Christo may chime in here since he does these all the time. I can't remember if I did mine with the 2 arm gear puller or not. I've heard of guys using pickle forks with no luck. I remember for some reason mine came right out with only hand force :eek: :D, must have been all that good karma I earned. :flipoff2: ;) :D

Tie rod end puller and wrench.

cruiserman is spot on, sometimes it is a fig pucker ( :D ) to get the dang thing loose without a tie rod end puller.

One will find one's vocabulary expanding during this particular operation. :rolleyes:

D-

A pickle fork worked for me. The whole job took 10 minutes. I didn't have a TRE puller then, but it looks like that would work better. The key with a pickle fork is a big enough hammer. I used a 4 pound sledge. It probably depends on how much corrosion the truck has seen prior to the install.

I was just looking at mine tonight it looks like a piece of cake (famous last words) ;)

No rust, nice and clean. I'll spray them good over the next couple of days and hopefully we'll have luck like Junk's and they'll just pop off. :doh:

Riley

I had to heat mine with a torch before the pickle fork popped mine off.

If you have to heat it....be VERY careful not to burn up your various important parts under there :D

Other than that...pickle fork technique is simple....line up...wind up....WHACK!

:cheers:

If you're lucky enough to have access to an air compressor, a pickle fork on an air hammer works wonders.
Air tools=less sweat and swearing :D :D

I don't recommend smacking the tie rod end at the pitman arm with a pickle fork and a BFH. All that frustration and force transmitted straight to the sector shaft of the steering box can't be good for it :eek:. If at all possible, use a tie rod end puller that looks like a V (on one end) and not a pitman arm puller with the wide jaws. Remove the other end including the brackets off the vehicle then take it to a table vise and have fun with a BFH.

My .02 cents. :cheers:

I borrowed an end puller form one of my techs and will have it on hand if needed for sunday. I will let riley report back on how it goes after he drives it home.
dave

Say, what is the symptom for replacing the steering stabilizer?

[quote author=MNCruiser link=board=2;threadid=7131;start=msg59327#msg59327 date=1068064252]
Say, what is the symptom for replacing the steering stabilizer?
[/quote]

Usually it's "wanna big yellow one to match my new shocks" ::)

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=7131;start=msg59361#msg59361 date=1068067424]
Usually it's "wanna big yellow one to match my new shocks" ::)
[/quote]
??? so are you saying the stock one is good for the first 500k miles :eek:

The stock one is probably fine from what I can tell. People say that the OME one will calm down the steering system when off-road and running larger tires.

I wouldn't have bought one except it's included with Slee's OME kit.

This goes w/o saying but don't forget to slap some antiseize on the tapers before re-installing!

In case you don't know the OME steering damper did/does not have the swivel fitting on one end like the OEM so don't panic like I did when I went to install it and think it is the wrong one. $.02 worth.
Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom