Installing power steering on 1979 pickup(N40) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey i recently bought a 1979 blue toyota pickup, it’s steering is manual and am pretty interested in installing power steering in it, the engine is a 20r, any tips or tricks in finding these parts/what i will need?

First post! Welcome to our slice of MUD.

I think we just had a discussion recently on the upgrade. You might try a search, or scroll down. As far as parts, the boneyards are going to be your friend. Do you have a u-pull in your town? Assuming you have the bolt holes in your cylinder head, the upgrade is pretty straight forward. Off the top of my head you will need (assuming 4x4):

Pump
Reservoir
Cooler
Gearbox
Associated hoses

The only hard part to find will be the ps gearbox. It was only used up to 1985. The rest of the parts can be harvested off trucks up to 1994.

Assuming you have a 4x4, converting to cross-over steering is an option, but more work. It requires 3" of lift, and welding to install. It uses the gearbox from ifs trucks which is more common.

Last edited:
First post! Welcome to our slice of MUD.

I think we just had a discussion recently on the upgrade. You might try a search, or scroll down. As far as parts, the boneyards are going to be your friend. Do you have a u-pull in your town? Assuming you have the bolt holes in your cylinder head, the upgrade is pretty straight forward. Off the top of my head you will need (assuming 4x4):

Pump
Reservoir
Cooler
Gearbox
Associated hoses

The only hard part to find will be the ps gearbox. It was only used up to 1985. The rest of the parts can be harvested off trucks up to 1994.

Assuming you have a 4x4, converting to cross-over steering is an option, but more work. It requires 3" of lift, and welding to install. It uses the gearbox from ifs trucks which is more common.
Sadly, I have a 2wd as i want to make it into a minitruck. thank you for the information, if there is anything different for 2wd please let me know, thanks for the help.

...if there is anything different for 2wd please let me know, thanks for the help.

Ya, the gear box. We are mostly 4x4 here, but I'm sure somebody can confirm the box you need, and compatibility with future years.

I don't think very many 80's 2WD Pickups came with PS from the factory, at least I've yet to see one. It was more common in the 90's models.

Like pappy, I could tell you all about what you could/should do for a 4x4 power steering setup, but have no idea what box you need for a 2WD. A 4WD won't work because the steering setups are different. You might have better luck posting this question on this site:

But a quick search on there also didn't bring up any results.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom