Installing Old Man EMU Stock Height Replacement spring kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well since my truck is now almost 25 years old, i thought it was high time for some fresh springs. Since i didn't want to install a lift kit, and all the extra work that comes along with doing a lift, i went with stock height springs.

Even going with OME factory stock height springs, they still ended up lifting my truck about 1 1/2 inch's. The springs in the OME kit are 861 for the front, and 862 for the rear.

I've included below the before installed, and after installed numbers, so other members will be able to get an idea of how these springs will effect their ride height before they install them.

New OME spring free height before install. Old Factory spring free height after removal
Driver front 19 1/4 Driver front 19 1/8
Driver rear 18 7/16 Driver rear 18 11/16
Pass front 18 13/16 Pass front 18 7/8
Pass rear 18 1/8 Pass rear 18 9/16

New OME spring height from C/L of hub to fender. Old factory spring height from C/L of hub to fender.
Driver front 20 3/4 Driver front 19 1/8
Driver rear 20 1/4 Driver rear 18 7/8
Pass front 20 3/4 Pass front 19 1/8
Pass rear 19 3/4 Pass rear 18 1/4

These measurements were all taken with 3/4 of a tank of fuel, 265-75-16 tires, a 100 pound Ramsey winch mounted under the stock front bumper, plus 100 pounds of recovery gear on the roof rack. With another 75 pounds of camping gear where the 3 RD row seats use to live, and a custom made swing out tire carrier mounted to the Passengers side of the stock rear bumper. I'm happy to report that after my install, my truck does NOT have the "stink bug" look, it's nice, and level.

Since my new springs did increase the height of my truck by around 1 1/2 inch's, i made a small adjustment to the LSPV mounted on the frame. After reading about how far other members moved their LSPV when they did a 2 1/2 inch lift, most members reported moving their LSPV down 1/4 of an inch.

I'm not sure if movement of the LSPV is linear, but i ended up moving mine down between 1/16 to 1/8 of and inch. I'm still going to buy a pressure gauge kit to check my setting against what's listed in the FSM, to make sure i get the fore, and aft brake pressure balance right.

Below is a link to another mud members thread who installed these same springs, along with his before and after numbers.
OME 861/862 Stock Height Replacement Measurement

Last edited:
Since i was just installing stock height springs i didn't think anybody would be interested in any photos of a 1 inch lift. So i didn't take any "before" photos, but here are a few "after" photos, hope this helps you.
upload_2018-11-5_16-44-47.jpeg

upload_2018-11-5_16-45-25.jpeg

upload_2018-11-5_16-45-56.jpeg

upload_2018-11-5_16-46-34.jpeg

Well since my truck is now almost 25 years old, i thought it was high time for some fresh springs. Since i didn't want to install a lift kit, and all the extra work that comes along with doing a lift, i went with stock height springs.

Even going with OME factory stock height springs, they still ended up lifting my truck about 1 1/2 inch's. The springs in the OME kit are 861 for the front, and 862 for the rear.

I've included below the before installed, and after installed numbers, so other members will be able to get an idea of how these springs will effect their ride height before they install them.

New OME spring free height before install. Old Factory spring free height after removal
Driver front 19 1/4 Driver front 19 1/8
Driver rear 18 7/16 Driver rear 18 11/16
Pass front 18 13/16 Pass front 18 7/8
Pass rear 18 1/8 Pass rear 18 9/16

New OME spring height from C/L of hub to fender. Old factory spring height from C/L of hub to fender.
Driver front 20 3/4 Driver front 19 1/8
Driver rear 20 1/4 Driver rear 18 7/8
Pass front 20 3/4 Pass front 19 1/8
Pass rear 19 3/4 Pass rear 18 1/4

These measurements were all taken with 3/4 of a tank of fuel, 265-75-16 tires, a 100 pound Ramsey winch mounted under the stock front bumper, plus 100 pounds of recovery gear on the roof rack. With another 75 pounds of camping gear where the 3 RD row seats use to live, and a custom made swing out tire carrier mounted to the Passengers side of the stock rear bumper. I'm happy to report that after my install, my truck does NOT have the "stink bug" look, it's nice, and level.

Since my new springs did increase the height of my truck by around 1 1/2 inch's, i made a small adjustment to the LSPV mounted on the frame. After reading about how far other members moved their LSPV when they did a 2 1/2 inch lift, most members reported moving their LSPV down 1/4 of an inch.

I'm not sure if movement of the LSPV is linear, but i ended up moving mine down between 1/16 to 1/8 of and inch. I'm still going to buy a pressure gauge kit to check my setting against what's listed in the FSM, to make sure i get the fore, and aft brake pressure balance right.

Below is a link to another mud members thread who installed these same springs, along with his before and after numbers.
OME 861/862 Stock Height Replacement Measurement
What shocks / steering stabilizer are you using with this setup?

Since my wife is almost 100% disabled money is always an issue for us so i couldn't afford a set of OME shocks. I ended up going with a set of gas filled KYB shocks, but due to a little luck i did end up with a OME steering stabilizer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom