1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing OEM front shocks

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by RooX, Aug 21, 2006.

1. RooX

RooX

Tonight i pick up a set of shocks from toyota, to install on my '82 BJ60.

Is it going to be as easy as i imagine? You'll have to excuse my ignorance, as i cant see what im up for as there are currently no shocks on the front (P.O just installed new springs and sold it before installing new shocks) :doh:

Anything i can do to make the install easier? Obviously have to remove the wheels, anything else?

2. baldredhead

baldredhead

you probably dont HAVE to remove the wheels even.

do you have all the fasteners?

are the new springs lift springs? if so, you may find the OEM replacements are too short.

in general though, shocks are dead simple to install.

3. CardinalFJ60

CardinalFJ60

I've done it without a jack or removing wheels

So...Not sure if this even an "ok" way to do it...but I just get under there and remove/replace.

I think I put the bottoms of the front shock on first, then unleashed the 'holder' that kept them compressed. the shock then expanded up into the upper hole. that's about it. I think it took me like 45 min to do all 4.

HTH

4. RooX

RooX

yeah i looked at it and it seems pretty easy..

one of the bolts is missing and all of the washers were on one of the bolts and are completly rusted out, so tomorrow ill have to go get some new hardware.

as for the new springs, they arnt supposed to be lift springs, he said they were from a fj62. I pulled the spring to its max extension and did a test fit, and its pretty close to its max extension, is this normal?

just did a bit more looking into it. and the shock is at the point where it is pulled out so far that the cylinder is tapering in..

are these too short?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  5. RooX

RooX

real time help perhaps?

bump for quick help

6. baldredhead

baldredhead

if they aren't lift springs i wouldn't worry about it. OEM will be fine

7. RooX

RooX

only reason i ask is that when installed there is only about 1/4" before it would hit the end point if the wheel went into negative travel.

i wouldnt worry so much if there was at least something to compare it to, but wth starting with no shocks i have no idea if what im looking at is right.

does anyone have any pics of a set just after install?

8. RooX

RooX

one more thing, i talked tothe PO and he said the springs are new to the vehicle, from a fj62, and the shackles are new as well, they are the anti-inversion shackles from SOR. I checked their website and it appears that this shackle design doesnt differ from stock in terms of height though...

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">