1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing new rotors

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by 92Cruiser, Feb 27, 2004.

1. 92Cruiser

92Cruiser

Ok, well I know its been brought up many times but I couldnt find anything in the search. I've got new OEM rotors and pads for the 92. I'm wondering what the correct procedure is for installation. I've heard things like having to turn the rotors after they are attached to the hub because they warp when being bolted on. Also what tools will be needed for sure. I've never done rotors or pads in the past so I'm not really sure what to expect. I do have the FSM but any help would be great.

Thank you,

Brian

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    New OEM rotors do not require turning after installation. Do be sure to torque them to spec, WITHOUT AIR TOOLS, in a cross pattern. They will not warp using this method. Do be sure to clean the friction surfaces with a suitable de-greaser before installation.

D-

3. Beowulf

Beowulf

Brian,

Here is an old post but the procedure hasn't changed.

-B-

4. Landpimp

Landpimp

Dan, am I correct that Toyota stores its rotors a certain way(flat? not on end) so they don't warp when sitting on the shelf? (I recall hearing this) I know most aftermarket rotors really should be lightly turned before install and must be turned attached to the hub.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=12218;start=msg112091#msg112091 date=1077946837]
    New OEM rotors do not require turning after installation. Do be sure to torque them to spec, WITHOUT AIR TOOLS, in a cross pattern. They will not warp using this method. Do be sure to clean the friction surfaces with a suitable de-greaser before installation.

D-
    [/quote]

5. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Pimp,

Sounds like an old wives tale, though I cannot imagine old wives discussing brake rotors and such. If a rotor (aftermarket or no) comes from the factory properly machined flat, I cannot imagine why it would need to be touched up once correctly mounted.

6. Landpimp

Landpimp

thats what I was thinking. But doesn't it make "some" sense that if the rotor is stored at an angle....that it could slightly warp just from sitting funny on the shelf?

the local brake shop turns all new rotors, no charge.

that said I have installed a pile of rotors, only turned a few when new

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=12218;start=msg112328#msg112328 date=1077997406]
    Pimp,

Sounds like an old wives tale, though I cannot imagine old wives discussing brake rotors and such. If a rotor (aftermarket or no) comes from the factory properly machined flat, I cannot imagine why it would need to be touched up once correctly mounted.
    [/quote]

7. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Pimp,

Storage is not the issue, you should see the animals that transport them sometimes :eek: Do you remember the old Samsonite commercial with the Gorilla and the suitcase?

8. Landpimp

Landpimp

so my parts don't ride on a red velvet pillow? :flipoff2:

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=12218;start=msg112404#msg112404 date=1078012464]
    Pimp,

Storage is not the issue, you should see the animals that transport them sometimes :eek: Do you remember the old Samsonite commercial with the Gorilla and the suitcase?
    [/quote]