installing front shocks and hit a snag (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've gotten the old shock out and the new one in place. Unfortunately the threaded rod that comes out of the top of the shock isn't long enough to clear the new rubber cushion and the two retainer plates so that I can thread on the new top nut. I thought maybe both sets of cushions and retainer plates were supposed to be below the attachment point on the body, but the FSM clearly shows one above and one below. How have people solved this? Squashing down the upper cushion somehow? Or is there an easy solution that I'm too boneheaded to figure out?

Bolt the bottom of the shock first, put the top stud in the opening, then use a jack to gently lift the lower control arm and it will raise the threads through the top mount enough to get a nut started.

Tried it three different ways and still no luck. Raising the LCA doesn't seem to alter the amount of the stud that's showing above the retainer plate. The lower (gas) cylinder compresses on the way up but the upper cylinder doesn't move.

Tried it three different ways and still no luck. Raising the LCA doesn't seem to alter the amount of the stud that's showing above the retainer plate. The lower (gas) cylinder compresses on the way up but the upper cylinder doesn't move.
OEM or other shock? Have you compared the length of the old & new studs? Thicknesses of the old & new cushions?

Are you removing OEM shocks and putting new OEM shocks , or aftermarket? Maybe post a pic

It's an OEM shock replacing an OEM shock. I'm reusing the old retainer plates with the new cushions that came with the shocks. The new cushions are at least twice as thick as the old ones - I assume that they get squashed over time.

I'm sorry I can't post a pic - phone camera isn't working. When my wife gets home I'll use hers if necessary.

Not to be simplistic but you did ‘unlock’ the shock right? They come compressed and you have to compress it even further, turn it, then it will fully expand

I had the exact same issue. New OEM shock cushions are really thick and I couldn't get enough of the stud to "poke" out from the top. My solution was to put only the lower cushion in, then put thick washer above the mount and then tighten down the top nut without the top cushion. That squeezed/compressed the bottom cushion enough that I could take the top nut back off and then put the top cushion on and tighten it up.

I was finally able to get it. I used an extender (borrowed from a neighbor) on the floor jack and was able to get the stud to poke out enough to grab with the nut. Thanks for all the good advice and suggestions.

Now if only the top nut on the driver's side would come loose... (PB Blaster and patience will do it, I hope).

Not to be simplistic but you did ‘unlock’ the shock right? They come compressed and you have to compress it even further, turn it, then it will fully expand

Not to derail the thread but do they always come compressed? I definitely don't remember having to compress and turn mine when I installed them. Just went outside to take a peek because I had a near heart attack that I did it wrong and have been driving it like that for the past few thousand miles...

I assume this is extended?

IMG_4211.jpg

I was finally able to get it. I used an extender (borrowed from a neighbor) on the floor jack and was able to get the stud to poke out enough to grab with the nut. Thanks for all the good advice and suggestions.

Now if only the top nut on the driver's side would come loose... (PB Blaster and patience will do it, I hope).

I had trouble removing one of mine. You are replacing the nuts with new right? I used heat along with a vice-grip and a hammer to break it free since I was replacing with new.

Not to derail the thread but do they always come compressed? I definitely don't remember having to compress and turn mine when I installed them. Just went outside to take a peek because I had a near heart attack that I did it wrong and have been driving it like that for the past few thousand miles...

I assume this is extended?

View attachment 2670914

I had trouble removing one of mine. You are replacing the nuts with new right? I used heat along with a vice-grip and a hammer to break it free since I was replacing with new.
Man now you got me second guessing myself! I could’ve sworn when I replaced OEM with OEM way back they came locked in their compressed position. I could very well be wrong though and maybe I’m confusing it with the Tough Dogs I now have. When I replaced OEMs it was probably 4yrs ago so I could be mixing them up

Yes, replacing nuts with new. Hoping an overnight PB Blaster soak will help. If not I'm going to try your way.
Man now you got me second guessing myself! I could’ve sworn when I replaced OEM with OEM way back they came locked in their compressed position. I could very well be wrong though and maybe I’m confusing it with the Tough Dogs I now have. When I replaced OEMs it was probably 4yrs ago so I could be mixing them up
Mine weren't locked.

I'm no expert but I've never heard of this? I've also never replaced OEM with OEM, so there's that.

replacing nuts with new

When in doubt, torch it.

I'm no expert but I've never heard of this? I've also never replaced OEM with OEM, so there's that.

I could’ve sworn my OEMs did! Unless I’m imagining things but I think I remember having to compress them and turn to “unlock” them

The OEM shocks come compressed. If you rotate the top of the shock it will release and expand. They aren’t all that hard to compress on install I wouldn’t worry about it. Run the bottom bolt thru the eyelet, then compress the shock, and guide the top stud into the hole as it expands.

Mine came "locked" too! And as for top nuts, I just cut them off - there is no way they were coming off after 20 years in midwest!

^x2; I'd just break the nut in half. If you loose the threads on the top of the old shock, it's not a loss you can't ignore.

I just put new OEMs on last month. They came "locked" or compressed but were very easy to release. The front nuts came off somewhat easily, but the rears had to be cut out. I was just barely able to get the nut started with the new cushions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom