Installing clutch pedal and hydraulics into a 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Okay so whichever tranny I settle on (looks like NV4500 now, but knowing myself, I could waffle again), I've got the obstacle of hanging a clutch pedal and mountin up all the hydraulics. Am I able to use a 60's hydraulics for an NV4500, or am I going ot have to get 'em out of a Dodge truck (trying to find a Dodge HD tranny)? Also, what exactly is involved in hanging the clutch pedal in a 62? Is it just an easy swap of pedal assemblies from a 60 into my 62, or is there some fab work involved?

Spook50 said:
Okay so whichever tranny I settle on (looks like NV4500 now, but knowing myself, I could waffle again), I've got the obstacle of hanging a clutch pedal and mountin up all the hydraulics. Am I able to use a 60's hydraulics for an NV4500, or am I going ot have to get 'em out of a Dodge truck (trying to find a Dodge HD tranny)? Also, what exactly is involved in hanging the clutch pedal in a 62? Is it just an easy swap of pedal assemblies from a 60 into my 62, or is there some fab work involved?

This is the same reply from pirate

THis is kind of hard for me to describe, so bear with me. This is all from memory.

There is a bracket or plate or whatever you want to call it, that runs from the firewall up and into the steering column. This plate has the mounting for the peddle assembly.

In stock form you 62 has all of the correct mounting for all 3 pedals, except for the left side of the clutch pedal. You could in theory weld in a mount for that side of the clutch pedal.

There are depressions in the firewall for mounting your clutch master. You will have to drill 3 holes, one for the cylinder, and 2 mounting holes. But you should be able to see them on the firewall so that is easy.

If you can find a parts truck it would be easiest to grab the master and slave cylinders, and mounting plate for the pedals (described earlier) and all the hydraulic lines for the clutch.

A long time ago I helped someone swap a manual into a 62, so the details are fuzzy. Let me know if you have any more questions.

majanrk said:
This is the same reply from pirate

THis is kind of hard for me to describe, so bear with me. This is all from memory.

There is a bracket or plate or whatever you want to call it, that runs from the firewall up and into the steering column. This plate has the mounting for the peddle assembly.

In stock form you 62 has all of the correct mounting for all 3 pedals, except for the left side of the clutch pedal. You could in theory weld in a mount for that side of the clutch pedal.

There are depressions in the firewall for mounting your clutch master. You will have to drill 3 holes, one for the cylinder, and 2 mounting holes. But you should be able to see them on the firewall so that is easy.

If you can find a parts truck it would be easiest to grab the master and slave cylinders, and mounting plate for the pedals (described earlier) and all the hydraulic lines for the clutch.

A long time ago I helped someone swap a manual into a 62, so the details are fuzzy. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Does the lever from the brake pedal stay the same, or would I have to change anything for that to install the 60's assembly?

Any idea what I'll have to do for the hydraulics? Should I be able to use the 60's master and slave cylinders with the 4500, or should I look for a pair out of a Dodge?

Parking brake should be the same. Is the p/b in a 62 a lever between the seats?

I don't know anything having to do with the NV4500 swap.

You will need at least the plumbing out of a 60. I don't know if you can hand fabricate those or not.

treerootCO said:
Id you need the 60 parts still, I can pull them off the parts 60. Maybe $50 to $100 for everything. It is an '83.

That's what I'm trying to find out :D

If it's as simple as getting just the pedal assembly and clutch hydraulics, I'm down. I just don't know if I can use the 60's hydraulics for the NV4500 though. I figure I could at least use the master, and if need be, pull a slave off of a Dodge, huh?

I would venture to guess that the nv4500 has the same front end as a sm465. In that case you will need a 3 speed bell housing and clutch. The hydraulics off a 60 will work with this stuff. I may be making things up so don't listen to hard :D

bustanutley said:
I would venture to guess that the nv4500 has the same front end as a sm465. In that case you will need a 3 speed bell housing and clutch. The hydraulics off a 60 will work with this stuff. I may be making things up so don't listen to hard :D

to be honest, I'm not sure. Though something I didn't realize until just now is that AA's adapter kit for mating the 4500 to a 3F and split case most likely uses the 60's slave cylinder. I'll email them to find out for sure, but it'd definately make sense...

Spooky -
I have the complete pedal/master cylinder/line/slave cylinder from my '84. Can you take a pic of your brake pedal mount area? I could tell immediately whether the clutch pedal mount is there.

Last edited:
Tinker said:
Spooky -
I have the complete pedal/master cylinder/line/slave cylinder from my '84. Can you take a pic of your brake pedal mount area? I could tell immediately whether the clutch pedal mount is there.

Well I could when I get back to the States...in October :D

If you plan on still having those parts by then, we can compare pedal mounts and see exactly what I need to install the assembly. In which case, I'll definately take the hydraulics too. Then it's just clutch kit, AA kit and the tranny itself. I'm gettin excited to do this :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom