Installing Brake Booster question.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Going to rub salt in the wound here. Last time I did it, about half an hour to 45 min. Booster came out smooth as silk. On the other hand, I had changed it at least 3 times prior so I had experience. I hopefully will never have that issue again as I am going hydro boost. First time I did it, at least 3 hours maybe 4.

Learned that you take everything out from under the dash and bunge the brake pedal to the steering wheel after taking the lower part of the dash apart. Yes, it takes time to do all of that but it makes life much easier.

Going to rub salt in the wound here. Last time I did it, about half an hour to 45 min. Booster came out smooth as silk. On the other hand, I had changed it at least 3 times prior so I had experience. I hopefully will never have that issue again as I am going hydro boost. First time I did it, at least 3 hours maybe 4.

Learned that you take everything out from under the dash and bunge the brake pedal to the steering wheel after taking the lower part of the dash apart. Yes, it takes time to do all of that but it makes life much easier.
90% of the time was spent under the hood trying to get the old booster out and installing the new booster carefully. The under dash work went exactly as planned except for the bracket falling down.

I was dreading putting the the booster, but it went pretty smoothly and I was happy. Replacing all the brake soft lines was another story. Almost all the hardline flares were mushroomed to the point that I couldn't thread the new brake lines on. That was not fun.

I thought mine was difficult until I read the posts above. Getting the new one in took some pry bar work. At first I thought it was "bigger" than the one I took out, but it was exactly the same. So, I figured if I could get it out, I can get it back in.
Also; and this might be significant...
3 months earlier I did a complete rebuild, including new engine mounts. Perhaps 1 or 2 mm riding higher/forward made a difference?
Job took a few hours, tops. [Only did the booster]

If its time for a new booster it might also be a good time to consider upgrading it rather than just replacing it. I think when upgrading brakes it's best to upgrade brakes starting at the pedal and working your way down. A booster has a major impact on brake clamping force, if not the most impact in the entire system in clamping force. Several boosters are available that improve assist over a stock booster. In the 80 section on mud I would say it's the most overlooked part of a brake upgrade. The braking difference with a increased assist booster can be pretty mind blowing. With any new booster make sure your brake hoses are in good shape and or not too old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom