Installing and testing the Grom Vline2 Android Infotainment System to get Apple CarPlay (Updating) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where did others install the box? I wanted to be able to access the box if needed. I know they suggest the glove box. Anyone else have a good spot to put it?

Just placed mine in the glovebox for now for easy access while i go through it all and make sure its a keep permanently item.

If so, i will likely find a more hidden location, to free up the glovebox

I'm glad the recent posts are positive. My experience was less so and I will take this opportunity to say the GROM customer service is horrible. Limited and untimely email response and no return calls from Voicemail. I am dealing with it by just focusing on Carplay but overall all an unpleasant experience.

I’ll chime in now that I’ve had mine a couple weeks and gotten to use it.

PROS:
-Can use Apple car play via my phone
-WIRED CarPlay works flawless
-Very easy Install

CONS:
-$700 is nuts for how glitchy it is
-Wireless CarPlay is totally hit or miss, more miss than hit
-Backup camera works but once put back in drive it goes back to OEM nav screen, not Grom
-it’s completely froze on me twice and needed to restart car to reboot it

Things I’ve checked
-has latest firmware
-no kinks or even tight bends in cables
-disconnected and reconnected everything

Works schedule is nuts so haven’t had time to deal with their customer support to troubleshoot. But for $700 it has wayyy too many glitches in my opinion.

If work calms down I might try more troubleshooting and tech support, but for now, I’ll use as is and WIRED

Disappointed but not quite pissed. It works, mostly, and does the 2 main things I need, but yeah…

NOTE: My 200 is not a daily or a family vehicle and I’m the only driver. If this was a family vehicle or a daily, I’d be quite pissed, especially with the rear cam problems.

My .04 (inflation)

@TeCKis300

I'll chime in as I recently (March of this year) had a fairly poor experience with the GROM units (both the VLite and VL2). I went to a local car audio shop to do a built-in sub to replace the JBL factory sub. The shop recommended adding the GROM integration and telling me that they have had a few other 200 series owners add them and were very happy with the addition. I wanted it mainly for the Carplay integration. I really didn't care if it was wireless or wired.

VLite - this unit worked great until it didn't, which was about 36 hours after install. The unit froze up on me at least five times in the first week since the first freeze (all happened during wireless but was not rectified when plugging in the cable). This was sometimes (but not always) preceded by random static while playing music (through Spotify or Apple Music). When it froze, restarting the vehicle did not fix the issue (not even after waiting overnight). The only way to reboot it was to cut power to the unit (a couple of times, I took off the trim pieces to access the unit (it was installed behind the factory screen) and disconnected the power harness; another couple of times, I just disconnected the negative cable from the battery). I finally made the shop replace it and this time with the VL2.

VL2 - this unit also worked great until it didn't but the issues were not as drastic. It never froze up on me. But, every 30-40 seconds, the screen would flicker (but only when using the GROM applications). The screen was fine when in the native Toyota infotainment environment. This was a minor annoyance that really became a major annoyance because it just persisted. The unit also then would sometimes just completely cut out audio (did it to me when using Spotify and Zoom). I had to reboot to get it to work again and that usually lasted a couple of days. The shop replaced the VL2 at my request after two weeks with another new unit. The new VL2 did the same thing (screen flicker). The shop said they were on the phone with GROM tech support throughout the first and second install. GROM first surmised the issue was due to a firmware problem, then when that didn't work, they indicated maybe there was a bad video card in the first VL2 unit. Finally, when the flicker was present at install of the second VL2, they didn't have an answer. I had enough and told them to remove the second VL2 and refund my money. I'm back to the "old" Toyota interface, which I don't love, but I'm glad to have it since it just works. At least I now have decent bass!

Anecdotally, the shop person told me (after removing the second VL2) that he was aware another customer was also not happy with their VLite freezing.

So, in the end, I am not advocating for the fact that people shouldn't purchase the units. This is a summary of my recent personal experiences with the product.

I'll chime in as I recently (March of this year) had a fairly poor experience with the GROM units (both the VLite and VL2). I went to a local car audio shop to do a built-in sub to replace the JBL factory sub. The shop recommended adding the GROM integration and telling me that they have had a few other 200 series owners add them and were very happy with the addition. I wanted it mainly for the Carplay integration. I really didn't care if it was wireless or wired.

VLite - this unit worked great until it didn't, which was about 36 hours after install. The unit froze up on me at least five times in the first week since the first freeze (all happened during wireless but was not rectified when plugging in the cable). This was sometimes (but not always) preceded by random static while playing music (through Spotify or Apple Music). When it froze, restarting the vehicle did not fix the issue (not even after waiting overnight). The only way to reboot it was to cut power to the unit (a couple of times, I took off the trim pieces to access the unit (it was installed behind the factory screen) and disconnected the power harness; another couple of times, I just disconnected the negative cable from the battery). I finally made the shop replace it and this time with the VL2.

VL2 - this unit also worked great until it didn't but the issues were not as drastic. It never froze up on me. But, every 30-40 seconds, the screen would flicker (but only when using the GROM applications). The screen was fine when in the native Toyota infotainment environment. This was a minor annoyance that really became a major annoyance because it just persisted. The unit also then would sometimes just completely cut out audio (did it to me when using Spotify and Zoom). I had to reboot to get it to work again and that usually lasted a couple of days. The shop replaced the VL2 at my request after two weeks with another new unit. The new VL2 did the same thing (screen flicker). The shop said they were on the phone with GROM tech support throughout the first and second install. GROM first surmised the issue was due to a firmware problem, then when that didn't work, they indicated maybe there was a bad video card in the first VL2 unit. Finally, when the flicker was present at install of the second VL2, they didn't have an answer. I had enough and told them to remove the second VL2 and refund my money. I'm back to the "old" Toyota interface, which I don't love, but I'm glad to have it since it just works. At least I now have decent bass!

Anecdotally, the shop person told me (after removing the second VL2) that he was aware another customer was also not happy with their VLite freezing.

So, in the end, I am not advocating for the fact that people shouldn't purchase the units. This is a summary of my recent personal experiences with the product.

Yes...

I had the screen flicker problem too, but only when using it WIRELESS

When using it WIRED, no flicker.

YMMV

I’ll chime in now that I’ve had mine a couple weeks and gotten to use it.

PROS:
-Can use Apple car play via my phone
-WIRED CarPlay works flawless
-Very easy Install

CONS:
-$700 is nuts for how glitchy it is
-Wireless CarPlay is totally hit or miss, more miss than hit
-Backup camera works but once put back in drive it goes back to OEM nav screen, not Grom
-it’s completely froze on me twice and needed to restart car to reboot it

Things I’ve checked
-has latest firmware
-no kinks or even tight bends in cables
-disconnected and reconnected everything

Works schedule is nuts so haven’t had time to deal with their customer support to troubleshoot. But for $700 it has wayyy too many glitches in my opinion.

If work calms down I might try more troubleshooting and tech support, but for now, I’ll use as is and WIRED

Disappointed but not quite pissed. It works, mostly, and does the 2 main things I need, but yeah…

NOTE: My 200 is not a daily or a family vehicle and I’m the only driver. If this was a family vehicle or a daily, I’d be quite pissed, especially with the rear cam problems.

My .04 (inflation)

@TeCKis300

Doesn't sound much different than when I tried an early unit back in 2019. Too bad.

I don't love my current Tesla style screen replacement, but it's a compromise I can live with until something better shows up.

And yet people keep buying it. As mentioned, I can manage it without losing my mind by just using Carplay, and as mentioned above, I'm the only driver. so the frustration doesn't get magnified across multiple family members.

I've had my vline2 for about 3 years and it's been pretty solid as long as I'm hard wired. The only issues I ever seem to have is using wireless carplay, but I still use it primarily.

Common issues:
  • Random reboots
  • Message that says can't connect to apple musing even though apple music is playing.
  • Occasional Wireless disconnects
Rare issues
  • Can't use steering wheel controls (requires grom reboot)
  • System Lock-up (Hard reboot grom)
I feel like (anecdotally) Lexus/Levinson users seem to have less issues compared to Toyota/JBL users.

I've had my vline2 for about 3 years and it's been pretty solid as long as I'm hard wired. The only issues I ever seem to have is using wireless carplay, but I still use it primarily.

Common issues:
  • Random reboots
  • Message that says can't connect to apple musing even though apple music is playing.
  • Occasional Wireless disconnects
Rare issues
  • Can't use steering wheel controls (requires grom reboot)
  • System Lock-up (Hard reboot grom)
I feel like (anecdotally) Lexus/Levinson users seem to have less issues compared to Toyota/JBL users.
My frustration with Grom overall is that I don't have any of the issues you experienced, I have others, and that all adds up to how unreliable and unpredictable it is.

My frustration with Grom overall is that I don't have any of the issues you experienced, I have others, and that all adds up to how unreliable and unpredictable it is.
That is concerning. Maybe they only tested this with 2013-2015 LX. The install videos appear to suggest that was used.

Anyone have a 08-11 with the VL2 have the backup cam working properly and not going back to OEM nav when put in drive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom