Installing an aftermarket water temp guage

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by cruisermantis, Jul 18, 2005.

1. cruisermantis

cruisermantis

I'm installing an aftermarket water temp guage in an '85 BJ70, and need to know if I'll need an adapter? Are the ports on the thermostat housing NPT?

Also, I notice there are three ports on the T-stat housing. The rearmost two are utilized. The front one is not. It's looks like about a 1/2" port, and is just below the top water hose (U.S. Drivers side of vehicle). Any reason not to utilize this port for this purpose?

Thanks
    Reid

2. fjbj40

fjbj40

the port you are talking about , on the thermostat housing , is the one i used for my aftermarket mechanical temp gauge and it works just fine . you may have to do some grinding on the inside if the probe is to long , I had to , but it is a good spot. I put in an equis gauge (s) , water temp , volt and oil px. that I got from Walmart . $50.00 and came with all necessary adapters and back lighting. If I knew how to post pics I would .
    hth , Daryl

3. crushers

crushers post ho

works fine, i have used that port as well...
    cheers

4. cruisermantis

cruisermantis

Thanks, guys. I'll probably plan on that. Hopefully I won't have to remove material from the housing. So does anyone recall if it's NPT? Also, am I safe to assume that any contact between the probe and the metal of the t-stat housing would be unacceptable and give skewed readings?
    Thanks
    Reid

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.