Installing add-a-leaf this week. Tips or tricks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Parts arrived today. I ordered the correct long AALs for both front and back, with the hope of getting an extra inch or so of body lift and a little less squat with my roof tent and overlanding load out.

I installed the OME “mild” suspension myself a few years ago - springs, shocks, shackles, bushings, etc - so I know the bits and pieces and have had them all apart, but it’s been a minute.

I am assuming to take apart the spring pack and insert the leaf where it naturally fits (between the one that’s longer and the one that’s shorter). The U-bolts have at least 1/4” extra thread, so I did not get longer ones. Assuming to reuse the rubber dampers that cushion the spring pack in their saddle. The AALs have a hole near the middle, so I assume that the existing pin in the spring pack goes there. I did not get a longer one.

Missing anything?

Nope, very straight forward. Use a c-clamp to hold the pack together when reassembling. Reuse everything you had before for one AAL since you have a light or medium lift already.

Have fun!

If you are talking about the original rubber dampers and big C channel that fits over the spring under the u-bolts....you should not be using that/those with aftermarket springs.
About that: I debated this when installing the OME kit years ago and found posts here both pro and con. I reused it since the dimensions of the OME spring pack essentially matched the OE springs. I didn’t see the harm - Toyota put the dampers there for reason. Been driving on them for a few years with no ill effects. However, now that I’m adding an extra leaf...?

What’s your argument for NOT reusing the dampers?

The big c channel likely will not clamp down to the spring plate with the extra leaf(s). It will be “floating” above the plate. Then the original rubber pads will be mashed very hard with no support when the u-bolts are torqued. If the rubber pads break down your springs and u-bolts will become loose.
I’d rather have solid metal to metal to metal contact on vital suspension components.

That said, IMO, the original channel plate and rubber isolators design is a nice piece of engineering, but it’s designed to work with OE specific dimensions so the plate provides optimal compression to the pads with side support and locks tight to the lower spring plate. All working in concert.

All that changes when you alter spring pack height.

Edit...,When the rubber pads are removed, you will need the OME metal spacer/bushings to keep the rear center spring pins centered on the axle perches. This was talked about recently in the other OME thread.

Last edited:
That all makes sense. I was wondering about the extra thickness of the additional spring. I did not order the OME metal spacer/bushings. Part numbers or at least a pic so I can chase it down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom