Installing a rd153 in a semi float rear with 5.29s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landcruiserrich

Bench Wheeler
Threads
I have been doing some digging on here about installing an ARB rd153 in my 74 fj40 rear axle and using
5.29 gears. I understand I will have to grind a tooth on the ring gear to remove the spider gear shaft on installation due to the thickness of the ring gear.I have read the installation instructions and a few posts including this one https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/372635-installing-4-88-both-arb-anything-else-3.html I was just wondering why the spider shaft has to come out at all. Is it to gain access to the c clips for measuring their thickness? Can the axles and c clips be installed without removing the spider shaft and pillow block? I have the gears and locker so going with another gearing setup is out of the question.

I was just wondering why the spider shaft has to come out at all. Is it to gain access to the c clips for measuring their thickness? Can the axles and c clips be installed without removing the spider shaft and pillow block? I have the gears and locker so going with another gearing setup is out of the question.

The spider (pinion) shaft and block needs to come out so that you can put the c-clips on the axle. The block is necessary to push the axles against the c-clips to that they are retained. There are reliefs cut into the side gears so that when the pinion shaft and block are pin place, the c-clips are retained and loaded so that they can not fall out (loosing a c-clip would be BAD M'Kay?) There would be no way to put the C-clips in with the pinion shaft and block in place.

New or not, that is pretty much necessary on 5.29 gears dut to their extra thickness to mate up properly to the pinion gear. IIRC, you only need to grind on the end of one tooth to clear it. John

Do 5.29s get set up any different than the stock gearing? I know the mini truck ring and pinions like to be set deep and tight with big tires and lower gearing, is it the same on the land cruiser diffs?

Quick question... Full floater or in a front end..... Do you still need to grind 5.29??

Nope, no need to remove the cross-shaft during install so no grinding required. Fwiw anything 4.56-5.29 will require grinding when installing in a semi-float application, 4.56 the least and 5.29 the most. Consult your ARB dealer when purchasing for other tips and tricks during install :D

grind

Nope. the grinding of the gear is so you can remove the crosspin for c/clip removal and installation. It is perfectly acceptable to grind the ring gear to allow for cross pin removal. This is common in the axle world for many types of c/clip rear axles, including GM, Ford, Chrysler applications.

Quick question... Full floater or in a front end..... Do you still need to grind 5.29??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom