Installing a new head unit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,

I'm looking at replacing the head unit in my 1997 80s series. Just looking to add something with an aux in and bluetooth streaming to make us of the features of some of my electronics on the daily commute/weekend trips down to the coast. I've never done a head unit install before, so I'm a bit apprehensive, but I'm reading as much as I can and just jump into it so I would appreciate any advice.

Right now Im looking at this head unit from amazon, Amazon.com: Clarion CZ100 In-Dash CD / MP3 / WMA / AAC Reciever: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RxW3gPngL.@@AMEPARAM@@41RxW3gPngL, no frills and won't look too out of place.

I'm clueless do I need a special wiring adapter? Any hints on getting the current head unit out? How tough is it to do and make it look "decent"? And, for any of you that have done this, do you regret going to a single din?

Thanks!

The adapters are readily available at walmart, crutch field etc. But Are you planning to keep the factory amp or bypass it?

The adapters are readily available at walmart, crutch field etc. But Are you planning to keep the factory amp or bypass it?

Planning on, and hoping to keep it. Is there any reason to bypass it? I figured the outs from this head unit would just go to the amp, but maybe Im missing something.

Your new amp will likely sound much better however the factory one powers more than the 4 speakers which a typical head unit can handle. I have my head unit powering all 4 door speakers and 2 tweets (wired with front doors) on the dash. Really depends what you want to do. You could wire all speakers into the head unit but it's not meant to do that as the crossover points will be all wrong as well as potentially putting to much load on the deck.

Sent from my iPhone

Ah, I didn't even think about that. I'm honestly not very worried about sound quality (this is more of just a way to get sound from my phone and wifes mp3 player on frequent 4 hour trips to visit in laws), as long as its not worse than what I have now. Will I be able to wire into the existing amp from a head unit like the one I linked to easily?

Would I be smarter to look at other head units that would push all the speakers or is that a pipe dream for after market and relatively inexpensive?

In that case the factory amp will be fine for you and you just need the wiring harness adapter.

Most headhunits are not designed for more than 4 spkrs although it could be wired that way if needed.

Readup some of the other install posts for all the details.

Sent from my iPhone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom