Installing 1HZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a 1HZ motor g/box with 120 k klms and brand new t/case to go into my FJ73 today.
I have to weld new engine mounts and as Ive got no reference points as to actually where the new motor sits I need some tips on getting the engine in its correct position.
My plan was to get the gearbox bolted in its correct position and bolt the engine to it supporting the engine on temporary props and hydraulic jack.I figure if I then fit the radiator and shroud the fan should sit concentric to the fan shroud.
Any easier ways?

In additoion to the above I also got the starter,alt,complete exhaust,fuel filters,all hoses pipes for power steering and anything I need.

I'm no expert, but I have heard it is easier to put the engine/tranny/t-case in all at once. So i'm thinking stick it all in there and bolt the tranny it's spot and you'll then see where the engine is going to ride and whether or not you'll have to change the tranny mount at all and whether everything fits good. Anyway, I've heard the 1HZ is relatively the same size as an F enginge so it should fit in there just fine with some mount changes.

Rob, Dave, Greg...anybody out there?

-Ferg-

i'd definately agree with rosco. it's really pretty easy if you have a decent engine hoist to put the engine/tranny/tcase in at once.

i'm going to put a 13bt into a 60 this march and that's my plan. drop her in, affix the tranny, see where the engine sits and fab some motor mounts from the old 2f and donor 74's mounts. if you have the room it seems like moving motor mounts is going to be much easier than moving the tranny cross member just do to space issues.

-mike

If the 1HZ you get comes from a pre-2000 7x series, it should be a lot easier since the tranny will likely be an H55f like what you already have. Obtaining frame measurements form an HZJ7x would be OK, depending on whether in the FJ73 if the transmission crossmember sits at the same spot as the crossmember in the HZJ7x, but I think it is best like you said, bolting in the tranny and then welding in the mounts.

If you can get an HZJ7x radiator, rad mount and fan shroud, that would tell you your lateral engine placement. But if you get the factory frame engine mounts (the welded on part) they would place the engine correctly, at least in the lateral dimension. These are available from Toyota separately from the entire frame.

Caveat: I haven't done one myself although I will be doing a similar swap hopefully this year.

Dave

Thanks Theferg,Beans and Stickboy .Ive got the original HZJ75 crossmember which will bolt up to my 73 although it possible I could use the old one.Yes,it is a H55 g/box and it came out of a 96 model.The engine has the later smaller type injector pump
The reason I was going to lift the engine and gearbox separately was because the manual says so but lifting them in together is my preferred way. Im was thinking there may not be enough room to slide them in together unless I take out the bezel and all the stuff that sits behind.Still its probably easier than trying to join an engine and gearbox from underneath while they are swinging around.The radiators are all the same size for the 3F 2H and 1HZ and mine is recently serviced so Ill be using that.

Once the engines in it seems like it will be fairly straight forward.
I have to extend the power steering hoses as the 1HZ pump is on the left side(good for americans).
The alternator wiring also has to be extended over to the right side.
The heaters hoses and radiator hoses have to be changed
Fuel filters have to be mounted
A relay for the glowplugs has to be installed,although the 1HZ start pretty good in warm climates without heat.

One other point Im not to sure about is the tranfer case shifter .My 88 73 has the pushbutton 4x4 and the 96 HZJ75 t/case still has it on the stick.Im hoping I can transfer the vacuum solenoids and old shift mechanism onto the new t/case ,any ideas?.
I know its not important but I wanted it to look like a factory job.

I used the cross member to line things up then used a level, measuring tape and a couple of bottle jacks to line things up. If you did not get the mounts then make up a set out of carboard first.

Measure twice or three times and cut once.

Should be pretty strait forward.

Rob

Does anyone know how you purge the air out of an injector pump on a 1HZ .It is the later smaller model pump I thihk.Cant see anything that looks like a hand pump or is it self purging? Does anyone know what type of injectorpump it is.I know one is a Stanadyne but which one?
Also I got the fuel filters off a HJ75 (same as a HJ60) and is there any reason I cant use it on a 1HZ.

Hi Ross,

The 1HZ needs its own specific fuel filter/water separator. It is the kind with the primer pump on it. The HJ75 water separator will not work and it has no fuel filter. Do not try to run the 1HZ with it even you can prime the system.

You can get a Racor with a primer or any fuel filter/water separator from a HZ/HDJ75 or 80. Even from diesel Hiluxes as long as it has a primer.

Dave

Thanks for the photo Dave.The device on the HJ 75 looks very similar to that and has a filter canister underneath but bolts to the R side of the engine bay.I will investigate further when I return for it

Dave I went and bought a manual that has 2 photos of the filter/primer assembly.
One is identical to your photo and says it is 80 series ,the other photo has a picture of the filter/primer that I thought was HJ75.It seems I have the 1hz filter/primer but require the secondary filter as well(it seems to have disapeared off the donor vehicle since I first looked,the sellers son is a prime suspect).
Also went and had a look at a brand new 79 series turbo and it has the same setup.
The 79 was a Di-Turbo RV charcoal elect windows with alloy tray and 1/2 acre of chrome.So beautiful :'(

Yes, the photo is off Gregory's. I know the pic illustrates the 80 series, but I just needed to show the forum the primer/filter/separator. The 2H-powered HJ75 also has a water separator on the right fender but the primer pump is attached to the fuel injection pump. The 1HZ-powered HZJ75 has a primer/filter similar to the diesel 80 but on the right fender. I thought you had the primerless HJ75 version of water separator.

I've seen the secondary filter on the Aussie HZJ75's too. Not all models come with this secondary filter. In fact few European and Japanese market HZJ7x series come with them. I suspect the secondary filter in not needed but it sure is nice to have.

It must be nice being able to buy a new HDJ79 off the dealers lot. Here all we get is Chevy Avalanche and the Pontiac Aztec.

Dave

It was actualy a HZJ 79T. Is there a HDJ79 in other countries?Ive heard of HDJ 100s before. It would be nice to walk in and buy but they are about $50kAUD

Uhhhh :whoops: I'm not sure of HDJ79's but there are HDJ78 troopies that come with the 1HD-FTE. Here is a pic of the engine bay.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom