Installed Ironman Dual Battery System Need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
wheelwell.com
Hi, I bought the Ironman DBS and installed everything. I following the instructions but my batteries keep going dead.

1. I did not install the Orange wire from the Volt meter to the Yellow Accessory ignition wire. I need some help figuring out where this yellow wire can be spliced in to. This will show me the Voltage in the batteries.
I am not concerned about the dimming part right now (e.g. installing the blue wire)
2. Beyond that I am at a loss as to why my batteries keep going dead. Shouldn't the Aux battery be isolated and therefore used for startup if the main battery is dead?

"I followed the instructions" is contradicted by everything else you wrote. I've learned the hard way - no shortcuts, do what the Aussies tell you to do, and your stuff will probably work.....

Thanks. Appreciate the sentiment of your post and was asking for help to do just that. My question was: Where is the best place to find the Yellow wire to splice into? Is there a wiring diagram available? I tried Googling ignition wiring diagram for 96 LX450 as well as FJ80 but could not find one.

I just looked up the instructions. The wire you are asking about is to go to an LED that you would buy. It would just light up that led when connecting the batteries. It sounds like as long as you wired your main battery to the "Sense" side of the relay, and your Aux battery to the "Second Battery" terminal, and the thin black wire to the negative on your MAIN battery (it says all grounds go to the main) then it should be working. Also you will need the yellow wire from the volt meter to a switch 12v source.

If you have that all correct it should be working, the blue and orange wires shouldn't matter at all.

http://www.ironman4x4.com/system/re...ta3l4YjllZl9EQjAwMV9JTS5wZGYiXV0/DB001 IM.pdf

Also, the secondary battery being isolated means it will NOT be used for starting. The batteries will be combined only after your main get's charged to 13.7 volts.

Thanks. Not sure what instructions you have but the one's I have specifically state in
step 3. Connect the Yellow Wire from the volt meter to the acessories output from your ignition switch. This will supply power to the volt meter (which mine came with). So, I need to find where that accessories output wire is to know the voltages of the two batteries.
However, Step 4 says: connect the Blue withe form the volt meter to dash board illumination or park light circuit. This wil allow the LED's on the volt meter to dim when lights are turned on. This isn't that important to me. The batteries going dead are.
I am going to double check again but I am certain I have everything with the batteries routed correctly.

So everything except the step 3 yellow input to the volt meter (not vital but I would like to see the gauges and what the batteries are at) is as it should be per the instructions and schematic.
As an aside, I also connected the winch to the main battery as that was recommended in my research. All other auxiliary items such as lights etc go to a fuse box installed prior to the Aux battery.
Interestingly enough my truck wouldn't start earlier today but now it did.

I do need to know where to find the auxiliary wire from the ignition.

John.

Looking through the wiring diagram I don't see a specific Auxiliary output. Is the usual place to tap into the cigarette lighter or elsewhere?

Looking through the wiring diagram I don't see a specific Auxiliary output. Is the usual place to tap into the cigarette lighter or elsewhere?

A fairly easy access point to the cig lighter wire is behind the fuse panel. If you remove the retaining screws on the panel you can pull it out. You will have access to the fused cig lighter. The space is tight but you should have enough room to shave off enough wire insulation to solder to. I have a picture of this somewhere but can't find it at the moment.

You aren't looking for anything called "Auxiliary Output" you're looking for any switched 12v wire. As thedoughboy said, the positing wire on the cig lighter is one option.

I posted the link to the PDF of instructions for your system you've installed. That's what I'm basing this off of.

Got it. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom