Install 'short shifter' on fj40? What kind? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The only way you'll get a short shifter is to cut the shifter stalk and rethread for your desired knob, otherwise you're out of luck to the best of my knowledge.

Do you mean short 'throw' shifter?
Nope, nobody makes an adapter or top cover for that purpose.

Why? It's not a sports car. It's more like a tractor.

Last edited:
Although you say it’s a 1973, I am not going to just assume you have a 3speed. If you have a 4 speed, you could use a lever from an FJ60; they are shorter. If it’s a three speed, you will have to shorten what you have.

Has anyone bent the shifter so it doesn’t make you cross your legs when shifting a 4 speed into reverse? Hopefully it won’t be as bad once I modify the seat back two more inches.

If you have a stock setup the early 60 series shift cane shorter than the 40 series. Took a number of pictures while back of 40 series and early late 60 series. Not a which each was now. Later 60 because of the 3F bellhousing that rotates the transmission clock ways when using the earlier four speed bellhousing reverse is on on the seat. Early was not.

Has anyone bent the shifter so it doesn’t make you cross your legs when shifting a 4 speed into reverse? Hopefully it won’t be as bad once I modify the seat back two more inches.
Yes, several times. Propane torch to warm it up, bench vice to make slow, controlled bends. Very happy with the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom