Install How-To: Factory Upper Control Arms (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.centraloverland.com
Forgive me for the condition of my truck. It's dirty. I was out in the woods last week and did nothing more than hose it off after coming back. All that redness is good ole Arkie clay, not rust. I hope it didn't mess up the photos too badly.

-----------------------------------------------

So the 470 is at about 150k on the ticker, and I've been feeling a bit of play from the front driver's side for a couple of months now. At first I thought is was a loose hub bearing, for when I raised the front end and shook the tire, I had the 12 to 6 play, but no 9 to 3. (Which would usually indicate a steering issue.) So, I pulled everything and tightened the bearing. No dice. Still that rattle, and getting a bit worse daily, or so it seems.

After a close inspection a month or so ago, I noticed a tear in the outer ball joint boot.

610fa167.jpg

This is the driver's side at full droop. Hard to see the tear here, but it's there. Simple math told me that if it's not the wheel bearing, then it must be this ball joint I'm feeling vibrate and rattle during rough roads.

Any tear in this dust boot allows grease to leave the ball and dirt and water to get in. Of course, the metal begins to break down pretty quickly at that point and the loose play becomes more and more apparent with every mile. The fear? That the ball wears down to the point where it can actually pull from within its socket. That's catastrophic failure, gang, and will certainly mean the end to forward travel for a while.

NOTE: Everything you need to know do this job is in the Toyota LC Factory Service Manual on page SA-70.

The day began with the right parts and tools. In this case, it's pretty basic:

photo.jpg

New Toyota OME UCAs from our friends at TRDParts4U.

b36a5c6c.jpg

From near to far:
1. 1/2" torque wrench
2. 1/2" ratchet
3. Impact wrench (only for pulling the tires)
4. 3/8" air ratchet
5. Adjustable Pittman arm pullers
6. 10mm combo wrech
7. Sockets at 9mm, 10mm, 19mm, and 22mm
8. Needle nose pliers (Ignore the wire snips. Used those for trimming zip-ties only.)
9. Big flathead screwdriver for minor "loving" of stubborn parts
10. Rubber or brass hammer for major "loving" of stubborn parts.

------------------------------------------------

Everything begins by pulling the wheels and placing the truck on jackstands:
43781a3b.jpg

Remove the two small bolts that connect the brake line and the AHC sensor to the UCA. (The AHC sensor is a Lexus-only part.):
a3592a5e.jpg

Drop a couple of matchmarks on the alignment cams on each side of the UCA:
97a24cbe.jpg

This will help get your alignment close during reassembly. You must still go to your fave shop for a realignment, but being somewhat close will make the trip there a little less painful and your friendly tech a little less pissy.

Remove the two bolts at the top of each side of the UCAs, here for rear:
2907a6e5.jpg

...and here for front:
2593620d.jpg

7216bb27.jpg

Use the jack to support the weight of the IFS prior to the next step. If you don't, the rubber brake line will be supporting this weight. That's a no-go.

Now you're clear to remove the cotter key and the 19mm nut that holds the UCA to the steering knuckle:
3ba3fd79.jpg

Things moved pretty quickly here, and I didn't get a photo of using the Pittman arm puller to draw the knuckle from the ball joint. My bad. I think you get the idea. It's pretty straightforward and laid out well in the FSM.

Once that's done, go ahead an pull that dude on out of there:
08c76a16.jpg

Yep, there's yer problem:
9c4d0f19.jpg

The ball joint was mostly dry and had surface rust on it. No question that it had play in it, as I could wiggle it around in my hand and feel it roam around inside the socket. Scary.

So that's pretty much it. I didn't do pics for the reassembly, as it's the exact opposite of the removal. Be sure to torque everything to spec prior to rolling off. I think the two inner bolts at the cams were 72lb-ft, and the ball joint was 81. The brake like bolt was like 10 or 12. I found that it helped to remove a bit of the splashguard to help me use the torque wrench. You can see where I've removed three pop rivets and I'm holding it back here:
29b0158c.jpg

Really, it's an easy one. Took me two hours in my driveway, and that was with a tire rotation to finish things up. I think any of you who go to aftermarket UCAs like Carl's or Total Chao would follow pretty much the same workflow. Hope this helps someone!

Wes

Last edited:
If you run into any slight knocking/clicking noises after install re-torque those big bolts. Happened to me after my dealer swapped the arms. They did it and silent now for years.

Nice work!

Looks like I am next in line for this one.

Used this write up 2 days ago. Really simple. Thanks.

CentralOverland said:
5. Adjustable Pitman arm pullers

Would love to hear thoughts from anyone regarding the adjustable puller. The idea of buying one versatile tool is appealing. Most write ups here have cited two different size pullers to remove the upper and lower ball joints.

I would like to see a picture of the puller used (make and model would also be nice). I have a drawer full of pullers that DON'T fit the UBJ. After a little grinding I now have one that fits the LBJ nicely.

Thanks in advance,

AimCOtaco said:
I would like to see a picture of the puller used (make and model would also be nice).

See the tool box shot in the original post. I agree, brand and model would be mucho appreciado.

CentralOverland said:
5. Adjustable Pitman arm pullers

4Peanut said:
Would love to hear thoughts from anyone regarding the adjustable puller. The idea of buying one versatile tool is appealing. Most write ups here have cited two different size pullers to remove the upper and lower ball joints.

Anyone have experience with the adjustable pullers? CentralOverland, your experience? Brand/model? Thanks.

See the tool box shot in the original post. I agree, brand and model would be mucho appreciado.

I do now see a puller in the pic but not sure how it would work as it would be pushing on the stud at an angle due to the way the knuckle sweeps down and out. I like the write up but it's all super simple to me other than separating that upper ball joint (especially if you just need to re-boot it without damage as I do), seeing the puller at work would be the picture that would interest me.

This is a great write up. The problem (as I have found) that non-oem UCA may not have the brake line holder (which is easy to fix with zip ties). The bigger problem is that they surely dont come with the AHC bracket seen in the picture. So, I have run into this and may land up having to cut the AHC bracket off my old arms and weld them on my new nitro arms. I was hoping a little more out of the box solution as I didnt catch this until too late.

IMG_1861.jpg

As seen here (no brake mount, which is trivial, but no AHC mount which is a pain :( ):

Upper Control Arm.jpg

If you run into any slight knocking/clicking noises after install re-torque those big bolts. Happened to me after my dealer swapped the arms. They did it and silent now for years.
Great tip, my local offroad shop told me my cam bolts could be slipping, 2 diff shops said the cam bolts were not torqued properly after installing new UCAs. They are having me check to see if they are coming loose after some driving. Bizzare, but might order new cam bolts. Do you guys have the exact torque settings for the cam nut facing away from each other. I have grease paint ordered to check visually if the cam bolt is walking off the threads... BTW I started feeling a "Thud" after my new UCAs a 200 miles after install - i thought it were bad sway bar bushing in the front, most likely it was due to loose cam nuts which threw off the alignment (caster) way off spec.

Great writeup. I forgot to mark the alignment cams before removing the bolts. Is there a default/neutral placement of the cams that can I can set so it's not entirely out of whack? Thanks.

Great writeup. I forgot to mark the alignment cams before removing the bolts. Is there a default/neutral placement of the cams that can I can set so it's not entirely out of whack? Thanks.
Not really- but you can align to the center point. Either way it’s time for an alignment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom