Install Holley Sniper on 2F with frame off restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 78 40 and doing the frame off restoration. I have installed the rebuilt motor and transmission and I am upgrading to the Holley Sniper. I have the sniper mounted to the intake and wanting to get it setup without the tub being installed. I haven't found a thread yet that is similar to my situation. I will be running all new fuel lines, filters that came with the kit and I am waiting on the arrival of my DUI dizzy. Anyone have tips or tricks they would like to share?

@wngrog has it all figured out; look for his threads. There's also several Sniper install threads in the 60-series forum.

You can run all the fuel lines along the frame and up to the motor. That’s about it. I’d wait for the body. It’s not a hard install and the body is needed for tank to frame fuel lines and throttle cable

Gee, and I felt kinda silly backing mine in and out of the garage without seats in it kinda awkward.

Just run a line from the fuel pump into a gas can. (make sure it's grounded, static electricity...).

I guess, without the clutch pedal you can just start it in gear, and YEEEHAAAWWW!!!

Who needs them pesky seats, or a brake petal and steering wheel (I've always had at least a floor to sit on).

I'm putting in the O2 sensor today and start running fuel lines. I have a trigger switch that I will use to start it when I'm ready. Of course all this will have to wait until Morris 4x4 sends my dizzy.

Gee, and I felt kinda silly backing mine in and out of the garage without seats in it kinda awkward.

Just run a line from the fuel pump into a gas can. (make sure it's grounded, static electricity...).

I guess, without the clutch pedal you can just start it in gear, and YEEEHAAAWWW!!!

Who needs them pesky seats, or a brake petal and steering wheel (I've always had at least a floor to sit on).
Thanks for the grounding tip...might be kinda important!

I may or may not have made a mistake. I installed the O2 sensor in my tail pipe behind the collector on my headers. I did not read the instructions well enough and I drilled the hole directly on top of the pipe. I noticed in the directions that it was to be drilled on the side at a slight angle. Will this cause me problems in the future?

I may or may not have made a mistake. I installed the O2 sensor in my tail pipe behind the collector on my headers. I did not read the instructions well enough and I drilled the hole directly on top of the pipe. I noticed in the directions that it was to be drilled on the side at a slight angle. Will this cause me problems in the future?

On one I helped a guy with recently we had to put it at an angle to clear the body, (floor board). That could pose an issue for you.

I noticed in the directions that it was to be drilled on the side at a slight angle.

10 deg "Or More" up from horizontal. That includes straight up. You're good.

On one I helped a guy with recently we had to put it at an angle to clear the body, (floor board). That could pose an issue for you.
I checked and the hole is right next to the bell housing on the transmission. Hopefully it will fall into the cover and will clear everything. Nice catch, thanks for the heads up.

To your original fuel line ?, this is the way I ran my lines, but my install is a bit different due to the manifold. Many ask why not hard lines all the way; makes install and removal a lot easier and I wanted to break the line for pressure gage. 3/8 AL racing line feed & return. Frame mounted filter and pump. I have a transducer for an in-cab fuel pressure gage to install yet. That will probably go in the passenger's side lead to the hard line. You do want a pressure gage with these systems when trouble shooting any issues - one of the first questions is always do you have 60 PSI.

1605800641272.png

1605800813181.png

You can run all the fuel lines along the frame and up to the motor. That’s about it. I’d wait for the body. It’s not a hard install and the body is needed for tank to frame fuel lines and throttle cable
After starting the install, I realized I may have gotten ahead of myself. I will do little things to clean it up and just wait on the body.

Another note on hard lines.
I ran one up along the firewall which was a mistake that I had to re-route.
The issue was the pulsating caused by the pump / regulator / injectors. That pulse created a loud ticking sound inside the cab. At first I thought it was lots of other things, but once I figured it out I ran the hard lines similar to stock locations, then switched to soft near the firewall.

no more ticking...

Another note on hard lines.
I ran one up along the firewall which was a mistake that I had to re-route.
The issue was the pulsating caused by the pump / regulator / injectors. That pulse created a loud ticking sound inside the cab. At first I thought it was lots of other things, but once I figured it out I ran the hard lines similar to stock locations, then switched to soft near the firewall.

no more ticking...

I’ve been playing around with multiple plumbing configurations with different pump & remote regulator locations. With each change I’d get light, heavy or no ticking. From what I’ve read it’s harmonics set up by the injectors working. When I got the setup I liked, the clicking was heavy. Since I’m running a remote regulator, and no return from the Sniper, I installed an injector pulse damper on the Sniper’s return port which was previously capped off. It silenced the ticking so it’s staying there.

Marren.jpg

I would like to see a lot more pictures of these systems installed. Particularly how they integrate with the truck. OEM air cleaner, throttle linkage, etc.

I was considering this for my ‘76. I like the concept of it but seems all the kinks of the Sniper system are not out yet.

I was considering this for my ‘76. I like the concept of it but seems all the kinks of the Sniper system are not out yet.
What kinks? I haven't read about any that were the fault of the Holley kit. More a personal choice of components that may or may not be 100% compatible.

A lot of the negatives online are due to install error. Lots of people have issues with their carbs too. It’s great to have options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom