Install axle in new birfield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
History: Newbie doing my first Front Axle job. Currently have both knuckles back on. Ready to install birfields.

One birfield was stripped out at the flange, so have new birf and flange from cruiserparts.net. Other birf's flange-end looked good, but flange needed replacement.

New Birfield:
I am worried about installing the axle into the new birfield. Can I reuse the original retainer ring? Would I be smart to bring them to the dealer?

Old Birfield:
PHAEDRUS taught me last week that the "corner clicking" is from the birfield balls. How can I tell if the old birfield is bad or not? Should I clean and bring that to the dealer also? Maybe I should just buy a new one for the other side too?

By the way, I HATE THE DEALER! I'd much prefer to do it myself, but don't want to ruin a $250 part.

Thanks and sorry for the stupid questions,

Joe

BIrf

I would not reuse the old rings they would have been weakened when you removed the birf from the axle. Mine broke when I did it. The FSM recomends new retaining rings anyway. I had my wife help me install the axles in the birfs. I put the birf in a vise used a rag so I wouldnt damage it, then she held the axle while I compressed the ring with a screwdriver then it popped in. May be others that have more experience have a better trick but it worked for me.

90521-34005

I agree on the nw rings

Look the old birf over and see where the wear points are. Take pics and describe the characteristics here, we will try and help you.

At the worst, you would have a trail spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom