Instaled Aussie locker test (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there,

Ive bought and installed an Aussie locker in the rear of my 85 toyota FJ62 alomst 18 months ago and i have a feeling lately that the locker isnt functioning properly. Ive been hearing the inside wheel screech at u turns as if its locked plus im hearing the normal ticking ! Ive checked the diff oil and its all ok. Am i paranoid ? I've lifted the rig on a 4 post jack and i spin one of the tyres and have my friend stop the other tyre on the other side (they're supposed to lock this way, right ?) well they arent. Please advise another test i can do to make sure.
(Same question has been posted on the Aussie site and I'll post their answer here as well for everyone's benefit)
Thx

With both tires off the ground, both will spin together. If one tire is stopped, the other should spin and you'll hear the "ratcheting" as it is unlocked.

Here in the US, I'd call Bill Cole from Torque Masters, the US distributor for Aussie Locker. Down unda, I'm sure you'll find another 'straight-from-the-horse's mouth' source. Do you mean you've already posted to Aussie Locker's www?

My read on what you've typed would not make me nervous, sounds like pretty normal quirks.

the test....
lift the rear of vehicle..
with trans in gear rotate either wheel in forward direction...
while holding that wheel rotate the other wheel rearward... it should ratchet...and lock if turned forward
reverse that on the other side and all is good.

The function of a auto locker it's pretty simple .. they allow one wheel go faster than the other ( to allow diferentiation for turns ) never slower ..

With both rear on the air both should rotate at same speed in the same direction.

Not to argue with you Tapage... but you have it backwards
when turning left the locker is driving the outside wheel.. and letting the inside wheel turn SLOWER...
thats why when you apply gas in the turn you make the inside wheel turn at the same rate as the outside wheel... making it "chirp"
Dave

when turning left the locker is driving the outside wheel.. and letting the inside wheel turn SLOWER...
thats why when you apply gas in the turn you make the inside wheel turn at the same rate as the outside wheel... making it "chirp"
Dave

Nope sorry, You would be wrong. Not him.

it allows the outside wheel to turn faster. No auto locker of any kind on the market allows a wheel to spin slower than the driving force and when turning the inside wheel being the one that will be moving the slowest would become the drive wheel. the outer wheel is just there for the ride i guess you could say.

"The "Aussie Locker" mechanism allows a wheel to turn faster than the speed of the differential that is driving it (differentiation), but never allows a wheel to turn slower than the speed the differential and engine is turning it (traction). Therefore, a wheel cannot ever stop turning if the engine is driving it, but in a corner it can be forced to actually turn faster. Unlike a standard differential, the engine can never drive one wheel faster than the other."
quote from AussieLocker.com located under "
Simple explanation of the "Aussie Lockers" operation"

Dave

Sorry, Tapage is right

GUY's..... listen to what your saying...and think of how the locker works.
if you lifted the rear of you truck, with it in gear, rotate the right rear tire forward(which would be under power thru a turn "Left") the left wheel would only be able to rachet backwards... it will not be able to rotate faster the the driving wheel..... use your own example... in a left turn "if" the inside wheel is the driving wheel you will not be able to turn the outside wheel faster, it will lock.
however... if the outside wheel is the driving wheel... the inside wheel WILL ratchet rearwards... and if you apply the gas the inside wheel will try to "catch up" with the outside wheel and chirp .

nope your still wrong.

the inner wheel is the drive wheel the outter wheel rides along and ratchets as it is going faster.

the locker does not allow any either wheel to go slower than the drive wheel. meaning it must be going faster and since the outter wheel is making the longer distance it must be going faster.

check your facts.

I posted a direct quote and direct link above in my first post.

I have to agree with CruisinFJ60. Just read the quote from Aussie in his link. Here it is coppied if you dont want to take the time to use his link.

The "Aussie Locker" mechanism allows a wheel to turn faster than the speed of the differential that is driving it (differentiation), but never allows a wheel to turn slower than the speed the differential and engine is turning it (traction). Therefore, a wheel cannot ever stop turning if the engine is driving it, but in a corner it can be forced to actually turn faster. Unlike a standard differential, the engine can never drive one wheel faster than the other.

Dave

Ground Force is driving the outside wheel. The drivetrain is driving the inside wheel.

:eek:ok... so it wouldnt be the first time I was wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom