Inspection of a '94 Triple Locked FZJ 80 - Prognosis? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Located an out-of-town FZJ80 for what seems like a decent price for a locked 80 with 250,xxx miles. Had it inspected locally by a Toyota mechanic, who called it a "very good mid-west example". Below is a cut-and-paste of their findings. We've played phone-tag so I haven't spoken with them, or asked for any sort of estimate to fix some or all of it....and full disclosure, I'm NOT one to fix any of this stuff myself.

Edit.....follow-up discussion with the mechanic indicates that he doesn't consider any of this to be "urgent" and most of the items would be addressed over the next year-plus. Except the rear heater lines, which he said are a total wildcard.

Edit No. 2....just got another follow-up answer about the exterior...its been "coated in a Line-X type material...sort of like armor paint." That explains why I couldn't place the color in the photographs. So...what is the "conventional wisdom" on that having been done?

INSPECTION FINDINGS ALL WINDOW OPERATE SLOW GIVE US SIGNS OF OLD SEALS OR FAILING MOTORS
INCORRECT BATTERY INSTALLED AND HOLD DOWN MISSING
VALVE COVER GASKTES LEAKING ENGINE OIL RECOMMEND HALF MOON RESEALING, SPARK PLUGS AND THROTTLE BODY GASKETS AT THE SAME TIME. MAY ALSO HAVE A FRONT COVER/OIL PUMP LEAKING. INTAKE TUBE AND PCV VALVE TUBES CRACKING WILL BREAK IF OIL LEAK IS REPAIRED.
ANTENNA MAST IS BROKEN
FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS LOOSE ( WILL NEED BEARINGS AND SEALS/ RE PACK)
CHECK RECORDS ON 4WD DRIVELINE FLUIDS MOST LIKELY A GOOD IDEA TO SERVICE
SPEEDOMETER CABLE O RING LEAKING FLUID UNDERBODY OIL LEAKS MAY HAVE REAR MAIN SEAL OR OIL PAN LEAK ( START WITH VALVE COVER GASKETS AND RE CHECK )
BAR FIELDS LEAKING FLUID
MOVEMENT IN DRAG LINK
FRONT AND REAR SHOCKS LEAKING
REAR HEATER LINES RUSTED MAY BREAK AT ANY TIME ( WOULD REQUIRE LIFTING BODY OFF FRAME TO REPLACE)
DISTRIBUTOR O RING LEAKING

Last edited:
Sounds like mostly standard repairs for these trucks. The windows may need service but 80 series cruisers have notoriously slow window speeds. The leaks need more detail to figure out how expensive the repairs will be. The birfields (spelled bar fields by your mechanic) are CV axles in the front axle housing - they allow your front wheels to turn. If they are leaking then that "fluid" is probably a mixture of gear oil and grease. It could be as simple as opening the knuckles, replacing a few seals, and repacking with good grease....OR...it could mean the axles have been abused and they now require replacement. The difference between those two situations is hundreds of dollars in parts. And that's just one item on your list. Not trying to scare you - but the reality is you're buying an old vehicle with parts in low-ish supply at high demand. That equates to one of two things: lots of work (research and physical work) on your part or lots of money out of your pocket. Not steering you away, just being honest. Ask anyone here who has owned one.

If you're going to be paying someone else to do all the work on the truck, you're getting into a huge money pit AND relying on someone else's ability/honesty. If some of these basic things haven't been done, there's going to be a ton of preventative maintenance catch-up to be done.

If you have the means, go for it. I learned how to do more wrenching because of the exorbitant cost of 3rd party repairs. What the PO got done for over $1000 at the dealership, I did myself for under $100. The front axle service, head gasket, cooling system replacement, etc... will cost you thousands if having someone else do the work.

Just the list you posted is probably north of $5000 to get repaired at the dealership. That's not including the rear heater lines. To properly replace, they need to pull the engine. I couldn't even begin to imagine the book time on that job. If you took it a Cruiser-specific mechanic, they could bypass the lines for you for a few thousand less.

Looks like all common stuff that's easy to deal with, just time consuming.

What kind of tools or mechanical experience do you have.

Line-x on the body is a hard one. I'd have to see it in person to even consider. Can be a botch job or good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom