Inside transmission hump heat or noise shield ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 78 FJ40 and working on floor mats rubber or carpet. I didn’t care for any of them .
So I am back to the bare floor, looking at pics from all over for ideas.
I have over the transmission a thick rubber shield mainly on drivers side and between the console and the stick shift.
It’s not an issue but in all the bare floors I have looked at, I didn’t see this.
So is this common on the 40 or do most take this off for the clean look.
This shield is really attached and I am inclined just to leave it alone .

Picture would help. Toyota did have a hard ashalt type of coating used on the floor. Hard to say what you have without a picture.

Check out the foil heat shield that CCOT sells. It made my ‘78 much more comfortable.

I believe you're talking about the factory heat shield in the cover. It doesn't come off without a ton of elbow grease. Being original, I'd leave it and find or make a floor mat that you like. Find a rubber gasket company local to you and go look at stock. They should be willing to help you find something you like. Conveyor belt material works well.

Photos

DE8A2961-20BD-471F-BEBE-1663D1ABA4DE.jpeg

7493579A-2BBE-4F40-8206-D232FFEFFC3B.jpeg

If you do decide to remove it I have chilled it and then used an air hammer with a not too sharp chisel and it comes off pretty well. If it is not loose and fully intact I would definitely just leave it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom