Inside lower rollbar basket (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
I saw this basket with the instructions and parts for the inside of the FJ40. It sits on the lower roll bars. What a great idea I thought. Put the parts out to our shop for them to cut. A friend looked at the project and suggested that if I was going to keep the hard top on, how was going to store stuff in the basket? The basket is 6" tall and the inside has a total of 9". Here is what we came up with. Soon it will be inside the FJ.

The kicker is that I do not want to weld it to the roll bars. I was thinking that I could weld a couple of angle brackets to the basket with holes for either the screws from the headrest to hold it, or holes in it for couple of pipe rings to hold it down to the bars. OR....suggestions please....

As a square peg doesn't fit into a round hole, I will need to take out the roll bars and line everything up out of the vehicle and put it back in the same way. I haven't taken the top off, it has never been off in it's entire life, and until I am ready with replacement seals I do not plan on doing this anytime soon.

I made the rack to store stuff above and the dogs below. Also when the top is off, one can still use a basket on top like most....kinda split level, double decker storage. :)
IMGP2650 35a.JPG
IMGP2654 35a.JPG

Nice job. Keep in mind that it will block the vision from your rear view mirror.

view blocked

yeah, I know it will. The other person had to do something different with his rearview mirror. Me? I'm used to it, I have a full size chevy with a carpet kit and my dogs lay across that so all I see is black fur. When I'm in the FJ, my German Shephard is so tall I do not see much out that way either. What I need is one of those back up video cameras and even then I am sure (according to most of my friends) I will back up into something. :rolleyes:

Very clever. I like it.

looks like mine, but yours is much nicer,

good work lets see some installed pics

Nice Rack :)

One thing,
if the swing down side isn't a snug fit when closed those latches are going to rattle like crazy and drive you nuts....
Also the expanded metal.... If it's just resting on the cross braces.......well that's going to rattle like a mofo as well..

On mine, I used spray on bed-liner the rubbery kind, and really layered it on where the expanded metal rested on the cross bracing.. once dry it held the expanded metal in place and no more noise...

The rattles

One will know when it's installed and my rig is rolling once again. However, I had them weld the exp metal to the bars and along the angle (also to prevent it from lifting up and cutting), as for the latches they are strong and tight, they found bar tube that fit snug and they suggestedto me to paint the inside for a buffer, I did.

As for the rattle? It all rattles inside LOL so which would I be able to pinpoint it too? That is what a good stereo or a barking dog is about.

How does your do Camcruiser13? Was it yours that had the detailed instructions along wth the cut list? IF so, thx! Obviously I liked the idea.

I used a Harbor Frieght extra cargo carrier that is made to go
in a hitch reciever as a roll bar rack. Mounted it with muffler
clamps, works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom