Inner Axle guide ring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I don't know what to call this thing, but its a ring that sits past the inner axle seal, and it is press fit into a groove behind the knuckle ball. I believe it centers the axle shaft to prevent damage to the seal as you insert it? Anyway, I dislodged mine fighting to get the axle to seat. Then I tried to seat it back using a slide hammer, and mangled it to hell. How important is this, and do they sell replacements. I could probably be more careful and try to seat it using a long rod to tap into place from the other end. Any advice is appreciated. Here are some photos of it in place and removed

IMG_2911.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

Nevermind, just did a search and found some threads with people having the same struggle. Just going to rig up something to support the axle shaft for re-insertion and get rid of it all together.

I knocked mine out too...used some trimmer line dropped in from the breather hole on top with varied pulling pressure to support/align the shaft into the diff...

Nevermind, just did a search and found some threads with people having the same struggle. Just going to rig up something to support the axle shaft for re-insertion and get rid of it all together.
You definitely want it in there to prevent installation damage to your seal.

I would straighten it out, clean out the housing, install it as close as possible, the place two tack welds on it to hold it in place.

No, you cannot buy new ones. You may be able to remake one with a large flat washer and a grinder and a Dremel for the inside hole. Must remember to install the drain holes at the bottom so the gear oil will drain back down the tube.

Thanks,

I have the axle all apart for regearing so this is a good time to do any grinding/welding on it. I am leaning towards the "string" solution, I think that will take less time to get it to work then fumbling with the ring. Planning to use the breather hole, make the hole bigger for more access and weld a 1/2" or 3/4" NPT bung to use for the breather. See how that goes

If you can, post up photos of your work as you go, would be interesting.

Is this piece specific to 91/92 yr model 80s? I saw nothing like that when I did the knuckles on my '93.
Could have been removed prior?

Got it handled, wasn’t that bad after all. Decided to reset the index ring. Straightened it out pretty good. Then made this tool hooked to a slide hammer to drive it from the inside. My 3rd member is out so it was easy to slide it in. Then I placed a tack to keep it from moving.

6A7A1B47-F6C0-4666-80F0-30EF34DAA67B.jpeg

EFCBA738-C1FE-4772-A540-F115747D3664.jpeg

9A28CF30-8701-4FCD-9C1A-5C8752A93164.jpeg

Is this piece specific to 91/92 yr model 80s? I saw nothing like that when I did the knuckles on my '93.
Could have been removed prior?
They All have it.

Yours must have been removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom