Inner and Outer wheel bearing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
are wheel bearings the same or are they inside and outside specific.

have these part#

jlm104948
jlm104910
lm102910
lm102949

I have to buy two of each right? called around and autozone has the best price. Also called bearing place because I thought their prices would be cheaper, but i was wrong.

Gracias!

Inners and outers are DIFFERENT. You can also ask about Toyota 4wd solid axle trucks as they have the same bearings. Not mentioning "Land Cruiser" might make it a little cheaper. I'm kind of surprised on the bearing place, I've always found them to be very reasonable.

If we're talking front wheel bearings, then there are two inners (larger diameter) and two outers (smaller diameter). You should also replace the races with the bearings. Maybe that's why you have four part numbers, but in my experience the race is packaged with the bearing, so there should be two part numbers and you need two of each. I'd be careful of getting cheap bearings. MSRP for OEM bearings is about $50 a piece. You might check with C-Dan to see what his price is.

If you're talking about rear wheel bearings, then it depends whether you have a semi- or full-floating axle. If semi-floating, there is only one bearing on each side. With full-floating there are two bearings (I think--don't know much about full floaters).

Full floaters use the same bearings as the front axle ;)

Im talking about the front wheel bearings. Im getting Timken wheel bearings from autozone. They sell the races and berings in separate boxes. I got these part numbers from the knuckle rebuild tech article in birfield.com. So the smaller bearing goes on the outside?

Gracias!

hightide said:
are wheel bearings the same or are they inside and outside specific.

have these part#

jlm104948
jlm104910
lm102910
lm102949

I have to buy two of each right? called around and autozone has the best price. Also called bearing place because I thought their prices would be cheaper, but i was wrong.

Gracias!

I've shopped by price, and have ended up unhappy eventually. Even with a "lifetime" warrenty. Now I just buy from C-Dan. I know I get a fair price. Might be able to find cheaper somewhere else, but when I buy from him I know that I'm getting the best quality available. I prefer to fix once, and move on. I think there are only two strategies that make sense - buy the cheapest, or buy the best.

lovetoski said:
I've shopped by price, and have ended up unhappy eventually. Even with a "lifetime" warrenty. Now I just buy from C-Dan. I know I get a fair price. Might be able to find cheaper somewhere else, but when I buy from him I know that I'm getting the best quality available. I prefer to fix once, and move on. I think there are only two strategies that make sense - buy the cheapest, or buy the best.

Actually Doug you are right, though the wheel bearings at Auto Zone may be the exception that proves the rule. The Timkins at Auto Zone are exactly the same bearings that come as OEM in 80 series wagons. I think that's important, because when you go in to Auto Zone, their reference is for 80 series trucks, not 60 series trucks. The Timkin bearings come in 3 boxes-an inner bearing, a race, and a set that has the outer bearing and the race. This costs about $18 total. When you consider that even with CruiserDan's excellent pricing, you are saving $32 PER WHEEL. You get an OEM bearing, you give up nothing in quality, what's not to love?

Technically the FJ60s came with Koyo bearings as OEM, but the Timkins are super good quality. I have nearly 30K on the set in my FJ60. I replaced all 4 sets of wheel bearings in my 80 last spring and went with the Auto Zone Timkins. They were no different from the Timkins I took out that were original to the truck.

One other tip-don't buy any other parts, not even the seal, while you are in Auto Zone. Buy everything else from Dan.

Hey amigo Cdrew,

Where these the part you used?

jlm104948
jlm104910
lm102910
lm102949

"Timkin bearings come in 3 boxes-an inner bearing, a race, and a set that has the outer bearing and the race."

That makes a total of 6 boxes right?

Gracias

If you want the OEM Koyo bearings and are also rebulding your front axle/knuckles then the knuckle kit/wheel bearings combo from Cruiser Outfitters is a bargain at $155. It's got everything you need from the axle seal on out (ncluding the trunion bearings).

hightide said:
Hey amigo Cdrew,

Where these the part you used?

jlm104948
jlm104910
lm102910
lm102949

"Timkin bearings come in 3 boxes-an inner bearing, a race, and a set that has the outer bearing and the race."

That makes a total of 6 boxes right?

Gracias

I don't actually know. I went in, asked for the front wheel bearings from a 1997 Land Cruiser and they did the rest. It's 3 boxes per wheel. I think one of them is labled "Set 41" or something similar. To get enough bearings when I did all 4 wheels on my 80, I had to drive around to several Auto Zones.

Im planning on tackling this job next week during spring break.

Thanks all for the input.

Finally got wheel bearings. I had to go to two diffrent autoparts stores to get complete set. i got two larger bearings and races in separate boxes and two smaller bearings with races in same box labeled set 47. A total of 6 boxes.

Thanks again for all your input!

Hi All, I am getting ready to tackle this front axel rebuild and i still cannot find clear information on the inner and outer wheel bearings. what i do have clarified is that the front outer is boxed as Timken SET47, so what are the Timken part numbers for the larger inner bearings? Thanks in advance and my appologies if its spelled out already and i could not find the information. thanks

Hi All, I am getting ready to tackle this front axel rebuild and i still cannot find clear information on the inner and outer wheel bearings. what i do have clarified is that the front outer is boxed as Timken SET47, so what are the Timken part numbers for the larger inner bearings? Thanks in advance and my appologies if its spelled out already and i could not find the information. thanks

Don't use the Timken. OEM are Koyo. Any quality rebuild kit from a MUD vendor will included Koyo bearing if they need replacing. They're not cheap, but there's a reason for it.

@Spike Strip - the later 80 series did come with Timkins stock. And even Toyota will sell you Timkins in a Toyota box. They are as good as the Koyos in this application.

@Spike Strip - the later 80 series did come with Timkins stock. And even Toyota will sell you Timkins in a Toyota box. They are as good as the Koyos in this application.

Yes, Kurt says the same thing. But I bought the Timkens once and they weren't the same number of rollers as the OE (IIRC) so I returned and bought the Koyo, but it probably makes no difference, also, I may be misremembering....

I just like to put back in exactly what came out, if possible. But I'm anal :cautious:

Things may have changed but the Timkins back in the day were the same numbers as came in my 80 series. I changed them about 10 years ago. I read Toyota used them due to pressure to increase USA content.

I try and keep a few bearing sets ahead and right now have Koyos on deck but I’d use Timkins no problem unless they were Chinese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom