Inlet manifold coolant leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks, first post for me.
Ive searched on here for any other posts relating but I can't find any.
Ive just bought this 1983 60 with headers, which were leaking at the manifold flange. I just pulled the manifolds and found a slight green coloured puddle in the bottom of the inlet manifold and in the inlet ports. Im pretty sure fuel is clear in colour, the coolant is green. There is no evidence of coolant in the oil and no evidence of oil in the coolant overflow tank or radiator.
I pressured up the system for 2 days to 10 psi and the system would only drop about 1 psi every half hour which im guessing is various hose joint leaks. Yesterday I pumped the system up to 15 psi then 18 psi and coolant started weeping from the top and bottom hose joints at the radiator. The inlet ports have remained dry and I can see no evidence of coolant leaks anywhere.
My question, is there any way other than a head gasket leak that coolant can get into the inlet manifold/ports .
Im temped to just screw this all back together and run it as is, cos it runs pretty well at the mo.
Thanks for any help
cheers
Mark

with the headers, does it have a fluid heat riser bolted to the bottom of the intake, below the carb?

with the headers, does it have a fluid heat riser bolted to the bottom of the intake, below the carb?
Nothing I can tell that has coolant in it. Because it has headers, there is nothing under the plenum. Just one 10mm fitting I can see on the outside of the plenum, I think it is the vac for brakes and a couple others on the manifold, mostly small like 3mm vac lines.

Only way coolant can end up in the intake manifold (via head intake ports) is through a crack in the head or a leaking head gasket.
When the system is pressurized, it shouldn't drop pressure at all. Not even after a few days.
A cylinder head crack might not leak much until the engine heats up and things expand. A head gasket might not leak until the pistons are compressing air

Did you have any white smoke in your exhaust when it was running? Also if you pull the dip stick what does the oil look like? is it nice and clear or is it black or is it brown and milky looking?

Headers or no headers there isn't anything on that side of the engine in or around the intake exhaust that routes coolant. There is a sensor that measures coolant temp on the back of the head but you would see fluid there if a problem.

as @OSS said....cracked head or headgasket are most likely scenario if you are seeing liquid coolant in the intake/exhaust.

Ooh. looks like I got to pull the head then.
No there is no white smoke and oil is oil colour. The oil fill cap is clean not milky.
Truck runs pretty good I reckon.

That all makes sense, cheers folks.

Pull your spark plugs and look at them before you pull the head.

Pull your spark plugs and look at them before you pull the head.
Yes I have. 1 and 2 have a bit of what looks like white fluff (coolant?) and are a bit dark/wet, 3,4,5,6 are good light brown.

At least if the manifolds are off, pulling the head is straight forward. The worst part about it is the machining costs and the cost of the OEM head gasket.

At least if the manifolds are off, pulling the head is straight forward. The worst part about it is the machining costs and the cost of the OEM head gasket.
Good to know, I've ordered gasket kit, though not OEM.

Ive pulled the head, ran a straight edge over it. Looks pretty flat.
Is it general practice to face the head anyway?
Apart from the 3 hot exhaust valves it looks good.

IMG20200507161157.jpg

Its worth taking it to a machine shop for a deep clean and have it checked for cracks.

I agree with sending the head and manifold to a machine shop. Did you check your manifolds to see if they are straight? Those white exhaust valves are an indication of it running lean. Many times this is due to an intake manifold leak. Also check the intake manifold just below the carburator for cracks.

did you figure out where the coolant is coming from?

Definitely take it to a machinist have cleaned,tested and resurfaced. And go remflex gasket on intake/exhaust when putting it back together.

I agree with sending the head and manifold to a machine shop. Did you check your manifolds to see if they are straight? Those white exhaust valves are an indication of it running lean. Many times this is due to an intake manifold leak. Also check the intake manifold just below the carburator for cracks.
Yep exhaust and inlet were leaking, pretty bad so ive welded gusset straps to the header and made up some tight fitting washers under the studs . I don't know what the usual fix for this problem so I kinda made it up as I went.

IMG20200516165600.jpg

Yeah cheers ill check also below carb.

pv40 ive tried to get remflex I like what ive heard but I cannot get them anywhere near me. And our postal service is backed up.

So today I smoothed out the ports and started to clean up the valves, should be good for an extra 3 hp atw when im done.

Given you had coolant in your ports - if you have access to a shop that can do a magnaflux / pressure test that would be well worth it. As for the manifolds, you can use a machinists straight edge to check to see if they are warped. If they are, the best fix is to have them decked on the proper equipment so that they are straight. I tried bolting up warped manifolds with a remflex. The intake still leaked, was burning a couple of valves, and I ended up taking it all apart again shortly thereafter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom