Injector Swap 1FZE to WRX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a set of WRX Blue 380cc injectors (Subaru Part Number 16611AA521) to replace the stock 310cc injectors (Denso Part Number 23250-74080) in my 97LX hoping that by increasing the fuel I would be able to increase boost and make more of what we are all after, POWER:steer:.

After very minimal research I decided to start replacing the injectors only to find that the WRX injectors are about 1/4" shorter than the original Denso injectors:doh:. Fortunately that seems to be the only issue as the plugs are identical as well as the OD on the inlet and outlet sides.

My next step will be to machine down the plastic spacers (after accurately measuring the difference in height) to accommodate the new higher flow injectors.

My question is has anyone done this swap? So far through search I have only found people talking but not doing this swap.

Post pics or it didn't happen!

:popcorn:

Sorry to correct my earlier post, the WRX injectors are 440cc

Is the amount of fuel shot into the cylinders the limiting factor on this engine??

I'm running 5psi of boost on the TRD supercharger so my next hurdle was to increase fuel. I realize that there is only so much learning that the ECU can do but I was hoping that by increasing boost and fuel as well as increasing the cross-section of the MAF house accordingly I would be able to make some more power.
Am I missing something else that I should have thought of?

I am new to all of this so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm running 5psi of boost on the TRD supercharger so my next hurdle was to increase fuel. I realize that there is only so much learning that the ECU can do but I was hoping that by increasing boost and fuel as well as increasing the cross-section of the MAF house accordingly I would be able to make some more power.
Am I missing something else that I should have thought of?

I am new to all of this so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am just learning too, I know very little about gassers. But it seems similar to the diesels, if you increase the boost, at some point you run out of fuel. Heat is the danger of increasing fuel delivery too much, if unburned fuel runs through the system.
cheers,
jan

If you're sticking with the factory ECU it will be insanely rich at idle and cruise speeds. I don't think the ECU is capable of trimming off that much extra fuel. You should either go with an additional injector or two (as I did on the FJ62), or a full stand alone. Opinions vary though.

I did a bunch of research on direct fit for take out injectors and went as far as buying a set of blues for future use.

I never before actually checked them against a stock injector until today and they are in fact shorter than stock.

So got the cruiser back together with the WRX blues. $8 worth of washer to replace the spacers and three 8mm bolts that were 50mm long instead of the 55mm for the fuel rail.

Truck started fine and idled but stuttered upon full throttle near 4000rpm.

Seat of the pants dyno says less power.

Going back to work for a couple of weeks but will be playing with the MAF and fuel pump upon return.

Will keep you posted!

Reviving this old thread. Curious if anyone else has had the "stutter near 4000rpm?"
So got the cruiser back together with the WRX blues. $8 worth of washer to replace the spacers and three 8mm bolts that were 50mm long instead of the 55mm for the fuel rail.

Truck started fine and idled but stuttered upon full throttle near 4000rpm.

Seat of the pants dyno says less power.

Going back to work for a couple of weeks but will be playing with the MAF and fuel pump upon return.

Will keep you posted!
I'm running the WRX injectors due to getting a lean code with a modified MAF housing/sensor. No more lean codes but something is happening at 4000 rpm. Motor starts shuddering. I put a new fuel pump in but no real change. Starting to wonder if the stock fuel pump is able to support the larger injector at WOT.

I picked up a set of WRX Blue 380cc injectors (Subaru Part Number 16611AA521) to replace the stock 310cc injectors (Denso Part Number 23250-74080) in my 97LX hoping that by increasing the fuel I would be able to increase boost and make more of what we are all after, POWER:steer:.

After very minimal research I decided to start replacing the injectors only to find that the WRX injectors are about 1/4" shorter than the original Denso injectors:doh:. Fortunately that seems to be the only issue as the plugs are identical as well as the OD on the inlet and outlet sides.

My next step will be to machine down the plastic spacers (after accurately measuring the difference in height) to accommodate the new higher flow injectors.

My question is has anyone done this swap? So far through search I have only found people talking but not doing this swap.
You have the correct part number, just make sure they are the light blue ones. I'm running them on my SC LC. I bought the upgraded scale MAF kit and it came with the spacers for the injectors. I didn't really notice a difference, but other folks running the kit claim to feel a better response time when stepping on the peddle.

You have the correct part number, just make sure they are the light blue ones. I'm running them on my SC LC. I bought the upgraded scale MAF kit and it came with the spacers for the injectors. I didn't really notice a difference, but other folks running the kit claim to feel a better response time when stepping on the peddle.
Is that the Landtank kit with larger MAF? If so I'm running same Landtank kit on TRD s/c (3.2 stock s/c pulley) - I noticed better tip and response but more so when A/C running in 90-100 degree summers - in that I didn't notice the A/C running. It's all subtle though. Not huge gains but glad I did it.

Is that the Landtank kit with larger MAF? If so I'm running same Landtank kit on TRD s/c (3.2 stock s/c pulley) - I noticed better tip and response but more so when A/C running in 90-100 degree summers - in that I didn't notice the A/C running. It's all subtle though. Not huge gains but glad I did it.
Yes, same kit I'm referring to

Howdy. I am running Landtanks MAF and Injector setup on my TRD S C with a 2.8" pulley on the pump. This gives me a bit over 8# boost wide open. Definitely runs stronger than before I added Landtanks kit. Pulls hard all the way up to 5200 rpm. I do get significant knock if I tip the throttle in too quickly, especially below 3000 rpm. Ignition timing falls to around -2 degrees if I tip the throttle in too fast or too far past 50% while below 3000 rpm. I just can't STOMP the throttle like a Chevy small block all souped up! I have noticed a decrease in MPG, but the fun factor has made it well worth it!

Howdy. I am running Landtanks MAF and Injector setup on my TRD S C with a 2.8" pulley on the pump. This gives me a bit over 8# boost wide open. Definitely runs stronger than before I added Landtanks kit. Pulls hard all the way up to 5200 rpm. I do get significant knock if I tip the throttle in too quickly, especially below 3000 rpm. Ignition timing falls to around -2 degrees if I tip the throttle in too fast or too far past 50% while below 3000 rpm. I just can't STOMP the throttle like a Chevy small block all souped up! I have noticed a decrease in MPG, but the fun factor has made it well worth it!
So no overheating issues? I'm debating a smaller pulley. MPG stinks already so rather have more fun with it too.

Curious if any turbo owners have implemented this solution 🤔

So no overheating issues? I'm debating a smaller pulley. MPG stinks already so rather have more fun with it too.
I also have a smaller pulley. I think I hit 8psi once. It mostly stays in the high 6 low 7s. I'm also intercooled and I read somewhere a while back that you (I) loose about 1psi with an intercooler. Fuel wise I get 12-14 mpg. Just depends on how heavy foot I am during that drive (I also have a heavy LC).

Reviving this old thread. Curious if anyone else has had the "stutter near 4000rpm?"

I'm running the WRX injectors due to getting a lean code with a modified MAF housing/sensor. No more lean codes but something is happening at 4000 rpm. Motor starts shuddering. I put a new fuel pump in but no real change. Starting to wonder if the stock fuel pump is able to support the larger injector at WOT.
Back to my question about stutter. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom