Injector Pump Diaphram (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's a pain in the ass job to replace. I did it 5 or so years ago. Nothing special other than it's really awkward to get to and you need to have the hands of a contortionist!

If you have a small kid, now would be the time to use him.
But seriously, I recently did it to mine and it is a PIA, the easy part is taking the cover off and that's where that stops. Inside there is a pin and a nut, which ever you choose to undo to get it out does not matter, I took the pin out and then for the installation I un-did the nut and installed it that way. It took about 2hrs start to finish. Don't be surprised to find oil in there. If there is a lot then you will find a small bolt on the side of the pump housing which you can use to drain the oil ever oil change or so. Just make sure you are not in a rush and have a lot of patience.

Did it a couple of weeks ago, its pretty easy. Get yourself a small flexible mirror, it will help when re-installing.

i paid some one to do mine , it took him about 30 minutes but he does them all the time , it was the best money ive spent in a while .

i did mine last month. engine is out of vehicle and it was still not easy. took a long while to get back together. my fingers are too large. i found oil in there also.

Should I add some oil to the diaphragm before I replace it? It's in the plastic still and looks lubed already.

Not engine oil, but neatsfoot oil. That's the oil your supposed to put a drop or two in on oil changes intervals.

But if it is already lubed I would not bother. But I have not done this yet. My diaphragm is sitting on the shelf waiting the day :)

Thanks again for the advice. I just replaced the diaphram and it runs smooth now. What a bitch though! It took two hours just to stop swearing. The rest of the time was just fighting with the diaphram and that damn pin. Next time I'm paying someone to do it.

I do have one more question though. The washer that sat on the pin inside the injector pump vanished into thin air. I looked but couldn't find any spare washers small enough to use. So I said **** it and threw it back together. I can't see it being an issue, but I'm no mechanic. Is this going to effect anything?

Has anyone ever stopped swearing during this microsurgical nightmare for long enough time to TAKE PICS?

Those that did probably threw the camera at the wall later so the pic's would be ruined anyways!!

Parts should be available at a decent diesel shop that handles Nippondenso.

It would be the most simple job if the injector pump was on the bench but in the truck what makes it troublesome is that you can't see what you are doing at the same time as your hands are doing the work. Trying to document the proceedure with pictures would be hopeless and likely lead to loss of religion. I used to charge three hours for the job and could usually do it in one. Eventially I decided that even at triple time, it wasn't worth it.

As has been said before, a mirror, hemostats, and a magnet will help. I noticed that Princess Auto has Neetsfoot oil at about $9 for a lifetime jug

I tried to use a mirror to see better. it fell and broke. then I dropped the damn cotterpin because I was upset at the mirror. the pin fell into the IP. Had to fish it out with a little magnet.

then I repeated the whole procedure. almost exactly the same. only without a second mirror.

then I finally did it right.

the worst part: the old diaphram was fine as far as I can tell. no tears at all. :(

the worst part: the old diaphram was fine as far as I can tell. no tears at all. :(

LOL, Same thing here. I could not find a pin hole so I think the oil was the cause . cheers.

At the time, a camera was the furthest thing from my mind. Like lowenbrau said, it would have been easy to work on and take pictures if it was sitting on a bench. I did go and buy a dental style mirror and a magnet. I would have been fooked without them. I ordered the part from 4Wheel Auto in Edmonton, Canada http://store.4wheelauto.com/view_product.php?product=20&searchlink=yes&search=INJECTOR PUMP&page=1. I called Toyota for a laugh to see what the were charging, and I think it was around $160 for the same part.

I took a picture of the Injector Pump so some of you can see how tight it is to work with. I know seeing it taken apart would be better, but there's really nothing to it and I'm never doing it again :flipoff2: .

13461365001zx4.jpg

Cant be done!

Ok,OK, I looked at my IP, snapped off the rod from the thinga majig that stops the engine, tried getting my hands in there and realized " Can't Be Done! Now i'm gonna call the boys up at 4 wheel auto and get one shipped asap! Also, can anyone recomend what kind of replacement tubing I should use for the line that goes from the top of the diaphraghm cover to the intake? Mine is a little hardened from 25 years of use. Thanks to all! tim

Ok,OK, I looked at my IP, snapped off the rod from the thinga majig that stops the engine, tried getting my hands in there and realized " Can't Be Done! Now i'm gonna call the boys up at 4 wheel auto and get one shipped asap! Also, can anyone recomend what kind of replacement tubing I should use for the line that goes from the top of the diaphraghm cover to the intake? Mine is a little hardened from 25 years of use. Thanks to all! tim

The Denso P/N for the diaphragm is 090580-0041 You should be able to get it from any local diesel injection place and save the shipping

Pretty much any vacuum hoses will work. Fuel hose looks like the original stuff but make sure is isn't so soft that it collapses under vacuum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom