Injection Pump Diaphragm Oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In lining up some preventative maintenance on my BJ60 (while waiting for the snow to melt), came across this in the service manual.

Inspect injection pump diaphragm oil, calls for 2-4 drops of ND 9955-00-0140 or Bosch OL-36V1 oil

In searching the archives, it looks like Neat's Foot Oil is a probably substitute for the above (meant to lubricate/soften leather).

Does that diaphragm indeed need to be lubricated at the frequency recommended (every 20,000 kms)? I have no idea when/if it was last done on my recently-acquired BJ60 (230,000 kms) but sounds like a worthwhile maintenance task.

Any other little-known maintenance items you would recommend (other than usual - fuel filter, grease u-joints, adjust valves, etc.)?

Thanks.

I never lubricate my diaphragm .. :eek: no big deal .. ( not yet at least - knock wood ) but sure do with marine grease for all my knuckles, DS, ujoints and steering rods each time that I can .. ( it means at least 4 times aprox per year .. much more if I'm involved in river crossing or dealing with mud .. )

Last edited:
....Does that diaphragm indeed need to be lubricated at the frequency recommended (every 20,000 kms)? I have no idea when/if it was last done on my recently-acquired BJ60 (230,000 kms) but sounds like a worthwhile maintenance task..

Well I can't see any good reason not to follow the manufacturer's advice in this case rstl99.

The idea of it is to keep the leather diaphragm damp with neatsfoot oil (which keeps it pliable and makes it work better and last longer).

If it was me, I'd assume the drips have never been added before (most likely to be true) and start now.

I keep a maintenance logbook so that I can easily look back and see when I completed the task the last time.

Even if a little excess neatsfoot oil were to accumulate on that side of the diaphragm - I can't see it causing problems. I think I remember wiping away "neatsfoot sludge" on both occasions that I have replaced my diaphragm. (There is no way of draining excess neatfoot oil apart from during diaphragm replacement.)

:cheers:

Hi LostMarbles, and thanks for the links about Neatsfoot oil etc. I will get at this for sure, once the snow melts.

Also, thanks for the link about the little-known engine oil drain hole on the injector pump. I had not seen that referenced in any manuals! Neat.

Hope you're enjoying the end of you "Summer" in NZ, as we are (hopefully) soon to enter our long-awaited Spring (in the Frozen White North)!

Regards.

If you read the thread kindly provided by LostMarbles, it's not a matter of FILLING UP the oil in the injection pump, but DRAINING it out (ie. looks like some engine oil creeps into there over time). Read the attached thread and your questions should be answered.

x2 do not fill the diaphragm housing just let the oil out (i beleve the oil comes from a leaky gasket in the fuel pump) empty when every you remember to do so its not that important i beleve they dont leak too bad if at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom