Injection pump compatibility (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I am building a 1HD-T to put in my HZJ77. I'm looking for some of the parts gurus on here than can give me some advice. I may have gotten a bit ahead of myself and already purchased an injection pump for the 1hdt before doing enough research, you know being a little impatient. The part number of the pump is 22100-17580 which it turns out is for an engine mated to a manual transmission. The transmission I have is an automatic A440F. I am wondering what the difference is between a manual vs an auto IP. I've done a fair amount of reading but haven't found anything to clear on the matter. Will I be ok using the manual one or will there be issues? Thanks in advance.

That IP looks like it was installed in the General Market countries from 1990 to 2001. Differing emissions spec's around the globe.

22100-17290(01/1990 - 07/1992)1$7,205.14
22100-17620(08/1992 - 12/1994
pump is on my 1992 HDJ81 with 442 auto.
Other pumps
22100-17550
22100-17560
Note: Pump body is common on many models, the internals vary with application such as 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, 1hz, 1hdt, yanmar marine engines, Corolla etc. Quite interesting possibilities.
You can add bigger fuel supply lines to injectors or stay stock.
As for your transmission I believe it's fully hydraulic so really just a kick down cable attachment with is probably on the pump or easily obtainable.
Sorry for the ramble but I'm currently skiing in Japan and fondling every Cruiser I find.

Last edited:
That IP looks like it was installed in the General Market countries from 1990 to 2001. Differing emissions spec's around the globe.
22100-17580 This pump is on my 1992 HDJ81 with 442 auto.
Other pumps
22100-17550
22100-17560
Note: Pump body is common on many models, the internals vary with application such as 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, 1hz, 1hdt, yanmar marine engines, Corolla etc. Quite interesting possibilities.
You can add bigger fuel supply lines to injectors or stay stock.
That’s good to know! It seems the only difference I can see externally in regards to hook ups is the linkage for the throttle and transmission. It looks like I can just pull the plate off my 1hz pump and swap it onto the new pump, but i just don’t know if there are any internal differences. Seems like it shouldn’t matter what trans you have as long as the pump is compatible with the engine.

image.jpg

Internally there are differences between the 1hz and 1hdt.
Cracking pressure is one difference because of different injectors, the 1hdt is two stage.

Cracking pressure is one difference because of different injectors, the 1hdt is two stage.
I did screw up on my pump...edited.

[/

thanks for the input but the question is if there’s a serious difference between manual and auto IPs for the 1hdt or if it’s just a matter of having the right link plate to accommodate the transmission.

Not 100% certain but I doubt it can be an issue.

1hdt is 2 stage or 1hdt fe?

how does a 2 stage work in a non electric setup

The 1hz engine uses a single stage injector.
The 1hdt and later series utilizes a 2 stage injector.
Cracking pressure not electricity is the key.
The electronic side of things is more an emissions duty.

So with my 1994 (newer IP part number), if I obtain the early-gen IP and the paired injectors that came with it, and swap them both in, will things be golden?

You should be able rebuild and match the injectors with the pump at a pump service place. The later pumps have a bit better design with the internals than the first generation. I run (ran) later pumps in early blocks- just use the correct injector washer for pistons (early w early, late with late).

However, thanks for some input from @mudandrock the more significant difference is that you'd have to switch out your throttle lever on the pump in order to keep your TPS sensor. Otherwise you’ll never have overdrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom