@#$%ing Tie Rod Ends (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What's the best way to remove this? I got the pitman arm side off but can't get the passenger side off. I guess I need to torch it with some heavy duty torch. The damn thing just will not move :mad: what to do? :confused:

Did you try a tie rod end puller?

I have got the tie rod/draglink off of the knuckle and the pitman arm. It is off of the truck. I did use a puller to pull both ends off. Problem is the threaded passenger side end. It will not turn. Almost like welded to the rod. I have got the pitman arm side end off of the rod but the end on the other side of the rod is the problem.

Riad said:
I have got the tie rod/draglink off of the knuckle and the pitman arm. It is off of the truck. I did use a puller to pull both ends off. Problem is the threaded passenger side end. It will not turn. Almost like welded to the rod. I have got the pitman arm side end off of the rod but the end on the other side of the rod is the problem.

I replaced mine with Slee's HD rods on mine because of the same problem. We tried torching them off and didn't get anywhere. I've since been told if you get them really hot that you can break them free.

If you're having trouble getting the T/R end out of the shaft(s), then my method might help.
Get some PB blaster, spray/soak the open threads and let it sit over night.

My method to take them off:
1. Get a Big F*&k'in creasent wrench to hold at the T/R end.
2. Then get a pipe wrench (the bigger the better) with the aid of a breaker bar to fit over the pipe wrench handle. Fit the pipe wrench to the shaft.
3. Find some way to hold the creasent wrench in place and apply force to the pipe wrench.

That's what worked for me.

Then after you get the T/R end out, align per the FSM.

Last edited:
Yeah, tried all that. Didn't work. Took'em to local auto shop. They heat it up with high temp, an hour later all three came loose. I had to pay $93.00 for an hour labor :rolleyes: Oh well, just got doen with every thing. No more wandering around in high speed. The grrease from the old T/Rs look like penut butter. Can't wait till I trash'em. Thanks for all the info guys.

beno said:
You can't beat the pickle fork ... :grinpimp:

I got the pickle fork :D . Getting them out of the knuckles and the pitman arms was a piece of cake. However, I think pickle fork can damage the T/R ends, can make them not reuseable since it can damage the grease seal and what not (I may be wrong on this). I had never seen a tie rod puller. I searched for it all over town, no has it. I also tried the universal puller, some thing like the pitman arm puller. But had to settle for the pickle fork.

Riad said:
I got the pickle fork :D . Getting them out of the knuckles and the pitman arms was a piece of cake. However, I think pickle fork can damage the T/R ends, can make them not reuseable since it can damage the grease seal and what not (I may be wrong on this). I had never seen a tie rod puller. I searched for it all over town, no has it. I also tried the universal puller, some thing like the pitman arm puller. But had to settle for the pickle fork.

Yes, it does damage the ends... :doh:

But I had the new Slee's right next to me...

Check out this thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=50902

Notice the pic of the destroyed TRE next to the pickle fork...

Good luck.

Last edited:
Proper TRE puller will look like a big old c clamp with cups of varying size at either end.
Could be like a gear puller in reverse as well.
Dave

beno said:
I believe a TRE puller is the same thing as a pickle fork...

Good luck.

There are actual "pullers" that do not damage the boot or TRE when used. Pickle forks are more fun though. :D

For future reference, take the clamp off and lay the stubborn end on a hard surface then beat the tie rod around the circumjacent of the section that the tie rod end is stuck in with a brass hammer. This will crush the rust that's in between the treads, and then soak with your favorite penetrating oil and it will spin right off.

I've done this on 60 year old military vehicles and it works every time.

CruisinGA said:
There are actual "pullers" that do not damage the boot or TRE when used. Pickle forks are more fun though. :D

Thanks for the correction guys...

I will correctly edit previous post.

-o-

I got mine's from MAF. They are installed and functioning just fine. I see/know the advantage of having those Jam nut type rods. I had them on my previous truck with heim joints. They are definitely easy to adjust. When my stock ones wear out, I'm gonna get'em. I'm going to take my truck for alignment in next couple days (although it deosn't feel like it is out of alignment) to the dealer. I am sure they have to pull those T/R ends off to adjust the alignment, no? I would like to see how they do it without damaging them. My old T/R ends lokes like yours as well. They were puking all over and the truck had its own piece of mind :D . But now, it is all golden.

i just give the female of the tie rod (on the knuckle) a good wack with a 2 puonder ... it works like a charm ... aand given that the tie rod is good you can reuse with bo boot damage ...

i don't like the pickle fork ... the pullers sound like the way to go ...

Riad,

Did you apply some antiseize to everything, specially the taper before installing?

Riad,
Just one thing to add. The old tie rods end (if not totally distroyed) may come in handy while on the trail, either yourself or someone else may need one to limp it home if they happen to break one.

Just lookin out for the fellow Cruiserhead!! :)

jklubens said:
Riad,
Just one thing to add. The old tie rods end (if not totally distroyed) may come in handy while on the trail, either yourself or someone else may need one to limp it home if they happen to break one.

Just lookin out for the fellow Cruiserhead!! :)

Thanks a lot pointing that out. They are definitley useable in the trail. I guess I'm going save them then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom