Infotainment reboot after using Siri to make a phone call ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

waybigdog

SILVER Star
Threads
While driving sometimes when making a call through Siri from the steering wheel control, the infotainment system shuts down and reboots.
The call does not get dropped but I end up having to wait until the phone reconnects toward the end of the reboot process to continue the call.
Anyone have this issue ?
I have a 2020 HE.
Thank you in advance.

Sorry I don't have an Apple to try and replicate. But just in case it's because you are using your own discovered route to Siri, are you using Siri in the eyes free mode described in the Nav Manual (page 207 in the copy I have)?

While driving sometimes when making a call through Siri from the steering wheel control, the infotainment system shuts down and reboots.
The call does not get dropped but I end up having to wait until the phone reconnects toward the end of the reboot process to continue the call.
Anyone have this issue ?
I have a 2020 HE.
Thank you in advance.

Ever so often, i get this. Usually happens after i update my iphone software. But then after that reboot, usually i am problem free for weeks/months.

Take to dealer for a software update on the headunit

Anyone have this issue ?
I have a 2020 HE.
Thank you in advance.
It happens to me all the time. 2018 on latest available Entune version/ IPhone 11Pro latest version of IOS. It also happened with my IPhone X with various IOS versions.
And FYI, my 2015 335i didi it as well except with that one you had to cycle the ignition to fix it. Car manufacturers blame Apple, and Apple blames car manufacturers. Siri is about as dumb as a box of rocks but I do like using "her" (I assume she identifies as a women) to make calls.

It happens to me all the time. 2018 on latest available Entune version/ IPhone 11Pro latest version of IOS. It also happened with my IPhone X with various IOS versions.
And FYI, my 2015 335i didi it as well except with that one you had to cycle the ignition to fix it. Car manufacturers blame Apple, and Apple blames car manufacturers. Siri is about as dumb as a box of rocks but I do like using "her" (I assume she identifies as a women) to make calls.

Not sure if you have tried...but try creating a SHORTCUT. I have a shortcut for heading home, heading to work, play playlist, etc.. For example, when i am going home from work, i say, "Hey Siri, heading home," and my iPhone text my wife my ETA, brings up my favorite playlist and plays music automatically, and shows navigation with home address already entered...all i press is Go. My iPhone is connected via USB. I always use navigation between work and home because highway around me is always under construction.

Not sure if you have tried...but try creating a SHORTCUT. I have a shortcut for heading home, heading to work, play playlist, etc.. For example, when i am going home from work, i say, "Hey Siri, heading home," and my iPhone text my wife my ETA, brings up my favorite playlist and plays music automatically, and shows navigation with home address already entered...all i press is Go. My iPhone is connected via USB. I always use navigation between work and home because highway around me is always under construction.
My issue and I think the OP's issue is with making a phone call. (either pushing the button on the steering wheel to invoke Siri or just speaking "hey Siri call mom etc." Siri make the call just fine, it's when the call ends that the unit reboots. At least that's what happens with mine. I also get this reboot with spoken text messages. An example would be "hey Siri text mom I will be there in 10 minutes". The message is sent as expected but the head unit reboots instead of returning to whatever it was doing before invoking Siri.

Last edited:
My issue and I think the OP's issue is with making a phone call. (either pushing the button on the steering wheel to invoke Siri or just speaking "hey Siri call mom etc." Siri make the call just fine, it's when the call ends that the unit reboots. At least that's what happens with mine. I also get this reboot with spoken text messages. An example would be "hey Siri text mom I will be there in 10 minutes". The message is sent as expected but the head unit reboots instead of returning to whatever it was doing before invoking Siri.
Its strange, mine reboots during the call occasionally not dropping the call, the caller stays on the line but as the reboot occurs the phone connects again but I have to manually switch my phone to car accessory in order to hear the call over the system.

This happens periodically to me when I use voice-to-text (initiated from the phone, iOS as well) through Bluetooth. I also have a ‘20 HE, and this is my absolute biggest annoyance with the truck.

Update - The local Toyota dealer cannot find a problem.
The resets are happening more frequently than before.
Curious if anyone has any info.
Thanks !

Bumping this up because per my original post the situation occurs on a regular basis.
Toyota is still telling me it is a "non known issue".
Just switched from a iPhone 8 Plus to a iPhone 12 Pro.
Apple says that it is an issue on Toyota's side.
Anyone have the same problem ?
Thanks

Bumping this up because per my original post the situation occurs on a regular basis.
Toyota is still telling me it is a "non known issue".
Just switched from a iPhone 8 Plus to a iPhone 12 Pro.
Apple says that it is an issue on Toyota's side.
Anyone have the same problem ?
Thanks
Yes and same response from Toyota.

This is still a problem.
Curious if anyone else has this or have a solution.
Toyota saying there is not problem.

I have the issue whenever I text using voice.

Toyota does not have an update for our radios. I have a 2021 and it still does this. No updates for 2021 have been issued and Toyota says if you change phones you should totally delete the last phone you had and let it pair with a new phone. Sounds like a BS answer but I don’t think they want to put the money into updates perhaps.

UPDATE: Toyota confirmed that it is a issue on their side and replacing the head unit as I write this.

UPDATE: Toyota confirmed that it is a issue on their side and replacing the head unit as I write this.
Whoa. This is huge. Could you pass on any information to the rest of us to help our dealers figure this out? And could you let us know if the hardware swap fully fixes the issue? I'm going to need plenty of evidence to help persuade my local dealership.

Whoa. This is huge. Could you pass on any information to the rest of us to help our dealers figure this out? And could you let us know if the hardware swap fully fixes the issue? I'm going to need plenty of evidence to help persuade my local dealership.
I was able to collect video from my phone on a couple instances when the quirkiness would show up and either freeze or reboot to show to the service department.
They said that when they ran detailed diagnostics some error codes came up.
I did not ask details about which codes. I am hoping on the repair invoice for today that will show up.
I‘m posting a picture on the last invoice with a description of what they did to come to where we are now.

2EEDFD5E-B1DB-49BB-85BB-72118CBCDD4A.jpeg

I was able to collect video from my phone on a couple instances when the quirkiness would show up and either freeze or reboot to show to the service department.
They said that when they ran detailed diagnostics some error codes came up.
I did not ask details about which codes. I am hoping on the repair invoice for today that will show up.
I‘m posting a picture on the last invoice with a description of what they did to come to where we are now.

View attachment 3180253
Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom