Information Re: Importing to the USA and Complete DIY How-To (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any idea where his brother wound up?
No idea. Most likely sold locally, since even the Europeans don't like dealing with the hassle of importing cars from Switzerland.

...a quote to put them in a 40' container and couldn't believe the price, $26k.
Dat crazy! Container prices are seriously out of control right now.
Just for reference, my HDJ80 was just under US$1600 all inclusive from Zeebrugge, Belgium to Nanaimo, BC Canada. That's RORO, not container.

My US 97 has air bags and ABS. Interesting that a European model didn't.
It seems like it was trim level dependent. I've seen European HDJ80's of the same vintage with plush trim and more features that came equipped with both ABS and Airbags. This one is trim package LA10, which includes vinyl floors and seats, manual wind up windows, manual door locks, etc. and it came without ABS or airbags.

No idea. Most likely sold locally, since even the Europeans don't like dealing with the hassle of importing cars from Switzerland.

Just for reference, my HDJ80 was just under US$1600 all inclusive from Zeebrugge, Belgium to Nanaimo, BC Canada. That's RORO, not container.

It seems like it was trim level dependent. I've seen European HDJ80's of the same vintage with plush trim and more features that came equipped with both ABS and Airbags. This one is trim package LA10, which includes vinyl floors and seats, manual wind up windows, manual door locks, etc. and it came without ABS or airbags.
Manual windows? I'm all in on that! How do I find the mechanism on partsouq?

My $2750 RORO quote was from Jeddah to Jacksonville so I think that compares well to $1600 from Europe given the additional distance on both ends. Insurance in this area of the world for any kind of shipping has contributed quite a bit to the increased costs. I see those costs in our industry every day as we ship bulk commodity chemicals out of Saudi.

My $2750 RORO quote was from Jeddah to Jacksonville so I think that compares well to $1600 from Europe given the additional distance on both ends.
Agreed. I suspect there's a lot higher volume of vehicles shipping from Europe which probably also helps reduce the cost some from there.

You may have already checked, but sometimes you'll get a better price to a different destination port. You might try Brunswick, GA or maybe Charleston or even Baltimore.

Agreed. I suspect there's a lot higher volume of vehicles shipping from Europe which probably also helps reduce the cost some from there.

You may have already checked, but sometimes you'll get a better price to a different destination port. You might try Brunswick, GA or maybe Charleston or even Baltimore.
I would prefer Savannah or Charleston as either is a bit closer to Auburn (I even threw in Pensacola, Mobile, and New Orleans). They offered up Brunswick but I think at the same price. Just as easy for me to get to Jacksonville. Appreciate the suggestion though.

Quick RORO question for you. I have read that you can't pack any extra stuff in the vehicle if using RORO which is fine as I don't need to. In your experience though, how particular should I be about removing things like jacks, tools (that came with vehicle), etc.? Do you have everything removed and, if not, have you ever had anything disappear along the way? Thanks

Quick RORO question for you. I have read that you can't pack any extra stuff in the vehicle if using RORO which is fine as I don't need to. In your experience though, how particular should I be about removing things like jacks, tools (that came with vehicle), etc.? Do you have everything removed and, if not, have you ever had anything disappear along the way? Thanks
I’ve never done RORO, but friends have and stuff goes missing. I’d personally remove anything easily removed and ship that back separate.

I’ve never done RORO, but friends have and stuff goes missing. I’d personally remove anything easily removed and ship that back separate.
Easy enough for me as I have a separate container going back with all our household effects.

In your experience though, how particular should I be about removing things like jacks, tools (that came with vehicle), etc.? Do you have everything removed and, if not, have you ever had anything disappear along the way?

I've never had anything go missing. In some cases, cars have even come to me with a pile of surplus/used parts shoved in the back. Original tool kits, owner's manuals, etc. have always arrived safely.

That said, I do know of cases where stuff has disappeared--just not from any of the cars I've imported or via the supply chain that I use. All of my imports have come through Zeebrugge via ICO/NYK. It's a huge operation specializing in shipping new cars from manufacturers to markets, and if someone there were inclined to pilfer something, I don't think old Landcruiser junk would be their most lucrative option. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the security situation might vary with geography and business practices.

Sounds like it would be easy enough for you to remove any loose items from your vehicles prior to shipping. That would eliminate opportunity and temptation for any would-be thieves.

Jade,
It is not allowed to put loose parts in the vehicle if you are doing RoRo service.
The vessel will not allow the car to have parts or whatever in it.
Plus I have never experienced port people stealing stuff form the cars coming with RoRo..

Container costs are over the roof now.. Start using RoRo for your next project.

Last edited:
Any parts that came with the vehicle is okay to keep in the car. Jacks, its tools, spare tire but make sure its tied down.. Basically you are not allowed to put a furniture or loose engine in it when importing..

In my experience with cars imported, No parts got stolen from the cars I have Imported.

And if you need any other help with Import paperwork let me know..

@WarDamnEagle I wish you the best of luck in your trip to come back home..

Does anyone know how the HJD80 is taxed when importing to USA? I'm outside of US and have my 80 diesel arriving to New York and a customs clearance broker is saying that based on HS code (8704.21) listed on my Bill of Lading, the duty will be 25%. Can anyone guide me on this?

Much appreciated.

If you (or your agent) has listed 8704.21 on the Bill of Lading, you may be stuck with 25% Duty. That HTS Code is for diesel engine vehicles "primarily designed for the transport of goods", and is intended for light duty cargo carrying vehicles such as pickup trucks and vans subject to the "Chicken Tax". I would argue that the correct HTS code for an HDJ80 is probably 8703.33, which is for diesel engine vehicles "primarily designed for transport of persons". Vehicles covered by 8703 codes are not subject to the "chicken tax" and are taxed (import duty) at 2.5%.

Whether you or your broker will have any success convincing Customs to change the code is unknown--I've never tried it.

Does anyone know how the HJD80 is taxed when importing to USA? I'm outside of US and have my 80 diesel arriving to New York and a customs clearance broker is saying that based on HS code (8704.21) listed on my Bill of Lading, the duty will be 25%. Can anyone guide me on this?

Much appreciated.
The 80 series is a 4 door suv. Taxed 2.5%

The code on the Bill of lading is not your mistake, this is a code that the agent added to the BL. Maybe that code is for a pickup and that is why they want to tax you 25% but your car is not a pickup.

Dont worry about a thing. Submit a picture of your rig to your agent and have them forward it to the customs. they will see the picture and check that this is not a pickup. then you will be charged 2.5% instead of the 25%.

All good.

The 80 series is a 4 door suv. Taxed 2.5%

The code on the Bill of lading is not your mistake, this is a code that the agent added to the BL. Maybe that code is for a pickup and that is why they want to tax you 25% but your car is not a pickup.

Dont worry about a thing. Submit a picture of your rig to your agent and have them forward it to the customs. they will see the picture and check that this is not a pickup. then you will be charged 2.5% instead
Thanks! That helps a lot

Does anyone have a Customs broker in the US that they can recommend

Call them up and ask for the import or export agent and tell them about the location of your vehicle so they can help you set up the shipping and customs..

Get few rates and see what works out best for you..

Call them up and ask for the import or export agent and tell them about the location of your vehicle so they can help you set up the shipping and customs..

Much appreciated! I was really loathed to use the first ones that came up on google, seeing how well that can be gamed these days, it’s no indication of how good they are.

Thanks also to the OP for all this info. Such a helpful thread.

Does anyone have a Customs broker in the US that they can recommend?

I used to handle all of Schumacher's vehicle shipments within the US. I have a few contacts there as well if you're interested shoot me a PM.

This is a REALLY great write up, many thanks to the OP posting it up. Over the past 12 years I have imported quite a few trucks from Central America to US (some from US to Central America too) and each time I do it I learn a little more of the bureaucratic choreography, but the information posted here will certainly speed up the learning curve for anyone doing it for the first time. Each exporting country and port will have subtle differences, which is also a learning curve. And, if you are US, one very important thing to never loose track of I that no matter how "poor" you are (or think you are) you will always be considered rich at the exporting port. Yes you will be charged gringo prices, or, rather, you will not get the local discount on anything. Thats the way it goes. And every administrative step takes longer than in US, and that is normal so dont expect anyone to jump and move faster because you loose patience. As such, I, now, use customs brokers at both ends, I learned the hard way it was well worth the few hundred bux.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom