Infinity Basslink in your 80? Please post (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for a little more bass in the 80 and have been pondering the Infinity Basslink system. The reason, it's small, the amp is contained, and it's small. ;p

My question to you 80 owners with this system is, are you satisified with it? How and where to you have it mounted?

I'm not into hard core rap, but more looking to add a little more substance to the sound of the music.

Danke!

I was looking at this unit for a while before doing some reading about it to determine the amp is super weak. I am planning on a little of my time to make a custom box for the rear side panel where the existing sub is.

There is also no way to "hide" this unit, it would have to sit in the back cargo area.

TX_TLC said:
I was looking at this unit for a while before doing some reading about it to determine the amp is super weak. I am planning on a little of my time to make a custom box for the rear side panel where the existing sub is.

There is also no way to "hide" this unit, it would have to sit in the back cargo area.

Yeah I have heard this too. I understand they have a new Basslink II model that is a whopping 50 more watts....Don't know if that would really do anything. But then again, I am not really searching for anything pounding. The Bee Gees do not sound too good full of bass!:grinpimp:

Many in the BMW community have expressed not so impressed thoughts about these units in their trunks, but a lot of that is the superior insulation BMW has that would make the BMW bass real hard. I have a conventional box and amp in my BMW and it suffices my needs.

I have a Basslink in my Subaru's trunk and am quite pleased with it. I think it adds just the right amount of bass. Mind you if you want your whole car to thump the Basslink isn't for you. But if you need more low end to your system I think it's just right. Not to say it's weak since I can feel the bass pulsing in my seat and that's with it at a little more than mid gain.

I've had this unit in my chevy silverado for a couple of years and recently transferred it into my 80. I've been very pleased with the performance in both. It has plenty of power and at the moderate bass levels that I like it is very tight. I'm working on a method for securing it behind the 3rd seat against the tailgate.

I bought one and returned it a few days later. It does add nice low end, but had to work pretty hard IMO.

I'm much more happy with my Alpine amp and 12" sub in a strapped down q-Logic box. I have 4 eclipse door speakers powered by an Alpine deck, and the balance is nice.

Cruisin Carolina,
After reading this thread I am happier about my recent inifinity 12" sub purchase. I will be getting an Alpine amp and building and enclosure similar to what mytlc did with 2 10".

The bass link is the best all in one unit IMO. I don't think you can judge the size and power of the amp with that of an external amp. The basslink is simple and works great for those that still have the stock head unit, such as myself. It takes up the same amount of space as a sub box minus the external amp, of course that is unless you are planning a custom in-panel setup. I for one do not like to cut or modify my stock panels or add any item that doesnot look or cannot be returned to stock.

Here's a few pictures of my setup. The bass link fits perfectly between the rear gate and jump seat, which keeps the unit from moving around. The high level inputs are run off the front and rear door speakers and the remote turn on is connected to the rear speaker amp in the back panel.

Last edited:
I like it. I had a mount made so it bolts in where the 3rd seat would go on the drivers side. I still have the bar for the 3rd seat--so to change it out is 6 bolts I believe. Currently it is removed and a 35" tire is taking up the space............ It doesn't take up much space and sounds good--I would buy it again.

for a good deal www.pricegrabber.com

Has anyone tried the Kenwood unit that has two 6.5" drivers, it looks thin enough to mount behind the panel for a stock appearing installation.

'92 Subwoofer

Toyota certainly came up short with the 5" woofer in the rear panel. I thought about a basslink, but decided on an enclosed, non-powered 12" MB Quart. Crutchfield had a $99 special including the box. I used the old woofer location to mount an Xtant 300 watt mono amp between the quarter panel and the interior trim. Mount board to old woofer bracket, mount amp to board. I gave myself plenty of speaker wire, so I can move the box around, depending on what I'm hauling - so it isn't in the way. I use bungee cords to strap it down to something, in case I roll the sucker :eek: I can also completely remove the sub if I need all the space or set it outside and keep it connected for camping.

Good luck, lots of options. I sure love the upgrade and I'm sure you will too. Music sucks if it isn't FULL RANGE!

I have it also and love it. It's been in operation in two SUVs and abused by one large Rottweiler. I think sometimes he uses it for a back message! Currently, it's mounted on the driver side of the cargo bay, on the interior wall and takes up no floor space. The grill on this unit is very stout.

alia176 said:
I have it also and love it. It's been in operation in two SUVs and abused by one large Rottweiler. I think sometimes he uses it for a back message! Currently, it's mounted on the driver side of the cargo bay, on the interior wall and takes up no floor space. The grill on this unit is very stout.

Can you post a picture of where you have it installed?

Bear80--how does it sound with one woofer firing at the floor? I have mine sitting vertical. I like your install but I use a rubber husky mat.

SR.GRINGO said:
Bear80--how does it sound with one woofer firing at the floor? I have mine sitting vertical. I like your install but I use a rubber husky mat.

I doubt the position matters because it's a subwoofer. But you do know there is only 1 woofer in the unit right? What you see on the top is only a passive radiator. You could put a few holes/small bolts in the husky, which would probably keep it well enough in place.

TX_TLC said:
Can you post a picture of where you have it installed?

Here you go:
PB220021.JPG
PB220030.JPG

I have a Basslink in my 88' runner, and putting it in my 91 cruiser when I sell the 4runner.
I really like it, it sounds perfect for my musical tastes. I listen to alot of music and it add more than enough thump for me. If you are a snoop dog or 50 cent fan, it's not going to annoy the neighborhood, but it does sound awesome for normal music.

Hey Alia,
Is that netting for your dog? Cool idea if it is. Is it something you made yourself or did you buy it?
Bob

RWD said:
Hey Alia,
Is that netting for your dog? Cool idea if it is. Is it something you made yourself or did you buy it?
Bob

Yeah, it's for dogs, gear, etc.. It was purchased from Raingler.com. There's another thread going around on this item. This particular one is for a 4runner since they don't have a listing for an 80.

Ahhh, I see. I'm getting a little tired of my metal one falling over. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom